Thread: 1990 No Crank
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021   #24
lfalzarano

Default Re: 1990 No Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Cold weather slows the chemical reaction happening inside your car battery. At 32 deg F, a car's battery loses about 35% of its strength. And at 0 deg F, it loses up to 60% of its strength........The engine requires nearly twice as much power to start in very cold weather (Cold oil is more viscus and cold parts clearances can be tighter)

I assume your "DNS" is Does Not Start

Make sure your battery is fully charged

Another little secret....If you think you will have trouble starting a cold engine .....

Hook up a charger just before you turn the crank (Leave charger connected as you engage the starter..... that boost in voltage is usually enough to start in the coldest of weather

Try it.....you will like it as the engine will turn over much faster and start much quicker

Your Alternator is NOT charging as you try to start.

I understand the Winter issues for batteries, and experienced the dreaded clicking or dimming of headlights, but never the Does Not Start after driving. There is a workaround for DNS as part of this thread. My thoughts are that DNS condition doesn?t happen in the Winter and only in the Summer. I was wondering if anyone on the Forum had the DNS in the Winter. In general, batteries last longer in the Northern climates versus the Southern climates.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry