Thread: 0W40?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022   #22
Dynomite

Default Re: 0W40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Starting in 2019, GM changed to a 0W40 engine oil for all Corvette engines except the LT6 which uses a 5W50.

Has anyone tried a 0W40 in the first generation LT5?

I would think that the same two major advantages?1) oil gets to bearings more quickly on cold starts and 2) better thermal stability during aggressive engine operation?that GM gained with using a 0W40 in the 2G LT5 and the LT2 woulid be useful in the original LT5.
What is the maximum cam pressure on the lifter for an LT5 engine?

Going from a 4,000 rpm to over a 7,000 rpm engine is a BIG factor in Cam Pressure and wear.

I also know from an experience that the cam tips are not parallel with the Lifter surface on the LT5 engine. (Cam Tip being the high "edge" of the Cam that gives the Lifter maximum compression).

An Aberration in Cam Wear

The localized pressure on the lifter must be very difficult to determine in that case....

The Cam Wear on the tips can be seen on the Cams pictured below.

I assume the cam tip being tilted and off center on the Lifter surface keeps the lifter rotating. The lifter rotating under the cam acts like a rolling intersection (not purely frictional). [B]The surface of the Lifter is moving vertically and horizontaly as the Cam Tip slides/rolls across the Lifter. (It is hard to imagine this happening up to 60 times a second).

Redline (maximum safe operational engine speed) is a BIG factor on ZDDP issues.....

Redline for L98 is 5,500 rpm.
Redline for LT5 is 7,200 rpm.

Mobile-1 for racing engines (high rpm) shows much higher ZDDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
https://www.mobil.com/lubricants/-/m...pecs-guide.pdf

Notice the zinc and phosphorus content on the racing oils...
Post 294 - Camshaft Abnormal Wear

A little more detail on Oil/Zinc/Cam Wear from Hib Halverson........

Oil/Zinc/Cam Wear Part 1

Oil/Zinc/Cam Wear Part 2

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-02-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote