View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024   #4
Will69camaro

Default Re: New Member, New Owner, Existing Car - 1992 ZR-1

Where to from here?

I'm new to Corvettes and very new to C4 platform. Always been a fan and the ZR-1/LT5 has always intrigued me. Love the history and performance behind it and it being the original GM "super car."

That said I do plan to make it my own and make some changes.

Starting off with regular maintenance. I got fluids in alignment with Marc Haibeck specs (Amsoil AMO / MTF) for Engine and transmission. I will fully bleed brakes with RBF600 fluid, as well as bleed the clutch fluid. I will replace fuel filter and plugs and have a belt on the way but will inspect belt condition prior to tackling that. Believe Chuck had said he replaced not too long ago. I will check his EXTENSIVE records.

I will be replacing the hatch weather stripping with Corvette Rubber replacement that arrives this Thursday, and MIGHT change the targa top seal that came with the car. Has minor splitting but does not leak into the car.

Car is set to be dropped off this week for paint correction and ceramic coating, but this freeze in Houston may delay that a week. Not going to risk driving the car to the shop on icy roads.

After detail, the car will get tinted, not sure how dark yet, but likely NOT 5% like my F250.

From there, I plan to do a coil over conversion that keeps the FX3 shock / functionality. While the car is up, i will inspect bushings, bearings, etc and consider replacing wheel bearings with SKF and bushings with the "SuperPro" synthetic bushings. I will consider replacement of upper and lower ball joints while I'm in there as well with Moog units.

I have my eyes on a set of SW headers and Corsa exhaust, and will get a tune accordingly when that is completed, as well as rear gear change.

I have a track day planned in a couple months, so will see how she performs there, and will adjust any modifications accordingly. I like big power but it's a bit pricey to get LT5 to that point. Ultimate goal will be 425ish RWHP (ported upper, etc, etc) and larger brakes (C6Z?) and wheels.

Overall I'm just very excited to have the car and join this community which seems VERY supportive of keeping these cars maintained and on the road and the legend of the LT5 alive and well.

William
Will69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote