View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014   #184
Bob Eyres

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Picked up the car yesterday after having the stock 3.45 changed to 4.10 Danas. It appears that I am a victim of my own inflated expectations. After hearing the accolades and reading on this forum a post from a guy who literally said he practically had to "relearn to drive the car" after getting 4.10s, I guess I expected the car to take flight or something. Hmmm, not quite. Yeah, I can tell a small difference but I'd be willing to bet the car is no quicker to a stopwatch, which is kind of a bitter pill to swallow when I just spent $1500 to get "18% more torque to the rear wheels at all engine RPM", according to Marc.

Driving the 2 ratios back to back, I don't feel any 18% torque difference. Not even close. And yes, I did confirm that the stock 3.45s came out of the car. I can say this for sure: if your car is stock or near stock and you're thinking about new gears, DO NOT do anything less than 4.10s. You'd be flushing money down the toilet. Just my 2 cents.
It's interesting to look back at the months of discussion about the minutia of gear ration selection and tire sizes, and see that Chris is right. And that his final assessment, that 4.10 gears are the minimum numerical change recommended for noticeable performance improvement in a stock, or near stock, ZR-1, hold up pretty well.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote