View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018   #31
spork2367

Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
This whole thing really struck me when I did some clutch work on my car, after putting it all back together I have an oil leak out of the transmission slip yoke seal which had been replaced. the oil was dripping onto the exhaust which passes directly under it so I had to be fixed. After determining the issue was excessive play due to spline wear, which is very odd for a car with just 24,000 miles on it, I decided to order another one. No-can-do. One of those parts that slowly disappeared from the shelves. With the help of Bill Boudreau (ZFdoc) we found a yoke with the same spline count but was a 1330 so I had to use a 1310/1330 conversion Spicer joint which are also hard to find plus he had to do some machining to the yoke by shortening 30mm so it would fit. Re-sleeving is another option.

Also, why is it so difficult to build aftermarket electronics for these cars? This may be a stupid question but why doesn't GM sell the specs for these devices so they can be reproduced?
Part of the reason these discussions drift to opinion is because there are a lot of owners who are blissfully unaware of actual parts shortages and or what it would cost to have those parts remade.

95% of the transmission is identical between ZR-1s and non, but if you break that 5% part, you're screwed.

Lose one liner due to a piston or ring issue on a 93-95 car and if you can't track down a good used one, you are spending well over 3k for pistons and liners without labor.

No matter what anyone wants to say, there are parts shortages, and some of the repairs would be considered cost prohibitive based on what the cars are worth. If you have a higher mileage driver, that may be worth 12-15k, you really have to love it to spend 4-5k on an engine rebuild. Worse yet, someone hits you from the rear at a red light and the insurance company totals the car. There are used bumper covers around, some take off quarter panels, a few trim pieces. Good luck finding the bumper cover supports that go between the aluminum and the bumper cover. They are ZR-1 specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
I'll just drive mine until It can't be fixed anymore than sell it for parts and move on! I'm sure I'll be long gone before that happens..
Probably the best way to look at C4s in general!
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote