View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013   #2
Franke

Default Re: Is the original Bose worth saving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyking View Post
Hi,
Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 ZR1 in awesome condition. My original radio head works fine and will play CDs just fine. Unfortunately, my speakers are shot and need new amps. I am down to only the passenger door speaker and it sounds like garbage. I have spoken to the folks at Dr. Don's and would definitely go that route. It will be new amps for the 4 speakers, so ~400.00. This got me thinking, I could get a pretty decent multi-disc, modern head and new speakers for about the same amount. I am not some audiophile, but is the original Bose set-up worth saving? If everything is working properly does it sound nice? I would save all the Bose components, as I really like my cars stock appearing. Getting it all fixed only to be disappointed by the sound quality would make me feel pretty foolish. Bose has always made great stuff, but does 23 years make it seem VERY outdated?

Appreciate you comments.

John
I guess it depends on several things like do you want to keep it original? Does it give more value when sold? Do you like the dash to look the same?

The Bose in mine sounds great and the amps can be had at a discount price from a junk yard. There are several guys on here talking about Nissan (I think) having the same amps and I remember one guy on here going to a junk yard to buy as many as he could find. We are talking way cheaper compared to on line replacements etc. I fixed mine by replacing the bad electrolytic capacitors in them.
One thing you do get with newer technology is the ability to use iPods etc. etc. Someone on here even modified a Bose head unit for ipods and/or aux inputs. Your call but I am staying with the original stuff.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote