View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 1990 ZR-1 Hesitation when full Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantinoro View Post
I JUST ordered a chip, I supposed I could return it. Another hint is my MPG is much lower than what everyone else is registering - maybe that will clue someone towards a potential problem.
The fuel mpg issue would have me forming a mental list of items to check:

O2 dynamic operation (you'd need access to an OBD-i scanner or equiv. (On two occasions since 2002 I experienced excessive fuel consumption. Both times I had issues with O2 sensors - verified with the scanner.)

I'd want to be sure the resistance linearity of the TB did not have any glitches across its entire rage of operation (throttle position).

dynamic fuel pressure: mid 40s (around 45-50 mhp, as I recall), and 53-55 psi at WOT (pressure gauge taped to the windshield)

Are your fuel injectors OE? If so, they need to be replaced with new alcohol tolerant ones - asap, w/o fail! (I experienced a burnt valve on the same cylinder occupied with an affected (bad) injector.)

After several maintenance items over the past 16 years of Corvette ownership, I can't say enough about the importance of a scanner or the ability to do so (software/laptop) far as diagnosing and troubleshooting these cars. In no time at all, with the help gleaned from the FSM and the ability to scan the computer and sensors, you can become far better able to assess and correct problems as they arise - waaay beyond that which you will find at most car dealerships (or the like)! Just a thought!

OH! And, something else from the "School of Hard Knocks": Just because a part was replaced, having done so is NOT the same as verifying it is working properly. Assuming the new part is working properly is a classic troubleshooting failure!: ya gotta TEST it to verify proper operation. Never assume!!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote