View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023   #5
tccrab

Default Re: Still chasing poor running

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
It sounds like an intermittent harness connection. It is not a common issue but has happened before. Probing the ECM harness connections can enlarge the female side of the connector resulting in an intermittent connection.
Yup.
That was me.
I had bad injectors, tested them by pulling off the big connector on the ECM and probing the sockets with my DVM.
I did confirm injector failure, but also managed to physically stretch the female connections in the process.
There was no obvious way to tell i had fubared the connection, it was just that the male pins were sloppy loose in the female connectors
The car would start and run fine, but after it would warm up, i'd get an intermittent misfire and power loss.
You wouldn't believe how long and how much $$$ i spent tracking down the problem and then finally fixing it once and for all.
The fix was cheap, i bought the female pins for $20.00 or so, borrowed the correct crimp tools, and re-pinned the harness. Not an easy task, but fairly easy to do with right tools.
Tracking down the fault i replaced: spark plugs (twice), spark plug wires (twice), coil packs, fuel injectors (twice), ECM (they weren't cheap back then too, although available at the local Chevy shop), three sets of plenum gasket sets and two sets of injector o rings, And i don't remember how many sensors i bought and swapped.
Suffice to say, it wasn't cheap, nor did it happen quickly.

Just goes to show you, don't make a problem bigger by underestimating the problems you cause during the diagnosis of the original fault.

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 05-10-2023 at 01:02 AM.
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote