View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016   #17
Roadster

Default Re: The Time is Now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL View Post
Those are flat top cast pistons in an unhealthy engine. Needs re-ringed unless your valve guides and seals are nearly gone. With 2.190 and 1.880 valves you`ll quickly have clearance problems. What are your expectations of the rebuilt engine and budget? What was done to the Q-jet when rebuilt?
This engine only has 10,254 original miles on it. It was owned by an older couple from CT. They just used it around town for their 34 years of ownership. The Vette was never really out on the highway or taken on long trips. Hence, why it probably looks like it does. The cylinder walls still have the crosshatch pattern in them.
What I am looking to do is have a non-smog motor that will run up to 5500-6000 r's with no problem. Just looking for a good driver with some power. I may take it down to the track once or twice to see what times I would turn. I can use the "215" heads or sell them and use one of the two sets of "781" that I have. One set is the original set, the other set are redone and ready to go with regular size valves.
I welcome your recommendations, if I use the "215" heads, what pistons would you recommend??? Or use the rebuilt "781" heads and not touch the bottom end. The crank spins freely, and I have not taken off any of the bearing caps to check the bearings.
The Q-Jet was rebuilt by Lars, as mentioned before, and it set-up according to the cam and heads I told him that I was using. Nothing radical. I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$$, but I do want to make sure I do this correctly.

The cam specs: Lunati.....
Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Great mid range torque and power. Likes 2000 RPM stall converter and works great in towing applications with lower gearing. Largest for inboard/outboard performance marine use.
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 272/280
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 221/229
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .575/.575
•LSA/ICL: 112/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-5800
•Includes: Cam & Lifters (#72431-16)

This is the spring pressure that is set on the "215" heads.
"For the Lunati roller I need 135 lbs on the seat and 340-350 lbs Open.
The Isky springs already installed on my #215 heads are 135 lbs seat pressure and 350 lbs open pressure"

Another member from CF recommended that I up the spring pressure slightly for this set-up.......

Again, any recommendations are more than welcome & appreciated..........

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote