View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Yokosuka Naval Base Friendship Day Car Show 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Hi Craig, I'll bet it is rare to get two Zs together there! Was there interest in your Zs from those car enthusiasts wandering around at the show?

Concerning the GoPro Hero mount, I bought a mount and plastic coated securing lanyards from Amazon. I like them both. The suction mount is solid and has a ball to rotate and 'level' the camera on slanted surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many ideas on mounting and recording video on YouTube - and they're extremely helpful, as well as figuring out how to program the initial video quality settings.

Here are two ideas on mounting:
1) Top/front mount. Attached is a 'screen shot' on this look. I didn't use a lanyard to secure it, but probably could have figured something out, was just in the neighborhood testing.

2) Side mount behind the grill. I like this because it gives more of a feel for the Z and the road. Lanyard above was long enough to fit comfortably around the side mirror.

Of course, one could mount it in the interior in some way. The above two ideas are exterior and I'd only use them in my neighborhood, a park, or driving country roads. I guess I'd feel funny about driving around with a camera hanging off the side of the car on busy roads. Maybe others don't worry about it, though.

I love the way you can link these GoPros to your iPhone, etc. So you can start recording, watch what the camera sees - and adjust the camera/mount as needed, and end recording -- all on your phone sitting in the Z.

The only problem you'll notice is that you'll get wind noise if mounted externally. That's why I ended up mounting a separate/old iPhone on the rear of the Z and recorded as a 'voice memo.' I married them up using iMovie. It was fairly easy to marry them up, as long as you start the car after starting both the video and audio recordings. There will be a 'peak' in both sound bars which one can match up. Then, silence the GoPro sound bar, and all you have is the sweeeet sound of LT5 exhaust! (Well, mostly.)

I hope this makes a little sense & helps get you started. I need to get out and do some recordings with sporty driving.

Mike G.
"G"

G,

Thanks for all the tips and tricks!! Yes, the Zs drew more attention than the other cars overall and I think it’s the clamshell hood and unique motor. I’m at work so short reply, but I appreciate all the info and links to purchase those accessories. I might have to reach out to you later for more tips if you don’t mind. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote