Thread: engine wear
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013   #37
Dynomite

Default Oil Pan Gaskets, Bolts, Oil Level Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ZR1#1221 View Post
Would you recommend getting two gaskets since its my first time putting the pan back in? In case I mess one up. Also does anyone make a pan bolt kit cuz I just want to put all new pan bolts back in the car. And is there a torque spec for the pan bolts?
One gasket is enough......I think

On Jerry's page you have the Oil Pan Gasket Installation Guide, Oil Pan Gasket for 90', Oil Pump Suction Pipe "O" Ring.

Jerry's Oil Pan Gasket and Associated

Typically.......6 mm bolts go 89 in-lbs (three in front of Oil Pan)
Typically.......8 mm bolts go 19 ft-lbs (fourteen in rear of Oil Pan)

Clean ALL Oil Pan Bolt Holes with cue tip and gas or something similar. Use Blue Loctite (242) on ALL Oil Pan Bolts. As you already know, I use thin coat of Permatex on both sides of the oil pan gasket.

The TRICK is balancing that "O" ring in place while keeping the gasket in place at the same time you start and snug up one 8mm bolt on each side of the oil pan. After that.....you are home free

Here are the 8mm oil pan bolts (ten) except those two on each side which are studs that hold the exhaust shields. And except the three front 6 mm bolts. Jerry's oil pan bolts

You need Four Heat Shield Oil Pan Studs/Bolts

You need Four Heat Shield Nuts

For your 90' you need Three Oil Pan Front Three 6 mm Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ZR1#1221 View Post
Shut the car off and checked the engine oil which I do religiously. Upon inspection it was low. Very low. After I let it sit again for a few hours and looked at it when I pulled the dipstick the oil barely reads up the dipstick.
On a 91' You would have seen a Low Oil Level Indicator on your readout above the radio when you first start the engine. The Oil Level Sensor was not used on a 90' unfortunately for you.

I am still looking for an LT5 Oil Level Sensor as Jerry does not stock those as far as I can tell

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote