Thread: Vacuum pump
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013   #14
zig

Default Re: Vacuum pump

Got the solenoid and pulled it from its housing and installed it. Same exact issue. I pulled the solenoid back out and hooked my hand held vacuum pump/gage up and sure enough, It slowly drops vacuum just like the original one. So, I pulled the solenoid apart and it's just a pintle held in place by a spring. If I press on the back of the pintle a little, it holds a vacuum like a champ. Maybe a stronger spring but then I may have an issue overcoming the spring when it needs to activate. Going to get another from a different chain tomorrow and see if it acts the same. I'll take the pump to the store and test it before I buy it this time. I may also work on the old one to see if I can get a better seat. Maybe some lapping compund and a slow speed drill with the pintle in the seat.

If anyone has an ideas regarding this secondary solenoid , throw them at me.

Other than that everything was smooth sailing today. Cleaning took the better part of the day but the valley is clean and back together. Put some liquid insulation on the starter solenoid wire the rat chewed up, installed new gaskets for the cover in the valley, installed the new injectors from FIC, replaced all the fuel rail seals, changed the spark plugs (#8 was as much a pain as I've read but the whole evolution wsa much easier than an LT1 or an L98), and put a new belt on. Will put the plenum on after I figure out this solenoid issue and fill it with coolant.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote