View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014   #174
WVZR-1

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Dave,

Actually we had a very similar thread several years ago here for anyone interested in referring back to it.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?...ear+axle+ratio

And I in fact did what you suggested, which was to use the stock 3.45 trans gear
With the 3.73 rear gear. Based on my GPS v Speedo, I get ~ 4% error! with the speedo reading slower. Good enough for cruising. Some of the specs are in that thread.
I recall bits of that and I mentioned a couple calculators in that thread because it seemed at the time it was easier for people to understand rather than doing the math on responses to avoid responses similar to Paul's. It appears to be complicated but after a few goes at them it's not that difficult.

I did speedometer calibrations for people to take to court and attempt to get fines and charges reduced to improper equipment etc. back in the day. I had to 'introduce' the error that we're attempting to correct these days. I don't recall any of my calibrations failing the person except a couple occasions where the person asked for an error that just wasn't likely accomplished.

I did the calibration, the buyer went to an approved certification station and of course there was an error, the person reinstalled the correct parts OR we actually corrected the error, the person returned to the certification station they certified the correction and the receipt for services went to court. Charges usually dismissed, occasionally if the JP/Judge suspected the tampering there was an improper equipment citation issued which had no points and a very low fine.

All the math was done on paper and changes sometimes by trial and error.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote