View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Getting a ZR-1 to Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
HAWAIIZR-1 - I am retired Navy and contemplating a civilian job in Yokosuka. I was stationed there in the late 90's so know about the vehicle taxes and registration hurdles ever year but never looked into getting a car there. I should probably be worried about schools and housing but need to know how you got your ZR-1 over there. Were there any modifications required? I have a completely stock 91 ZR-1 with 21K miles and don't want to have to modify anything I can't put back to original when I return. I also have a 91 Z28 and 96 Corvette Collector Edition Conv but if I have read correctly, there is a two car maximum per family so they will need to stay in storage. Any information you can provide on how you got it there and what needed to be modified would be much appreciated.
Hello,
I was notified that my PM was full so it has been cleared out. This stuff is very complicated and I will glad to let you know what I found out while there. The good thing is your car is stock so you have better chances of passing Japan emissions that I did. I'm not sure it is worth it for you to do so and it might be better discuss by phone and I can also point you to: japanbases.com where you can register and get a lot of information from there too. The problem is you will barely get a straight answer or correct information as I found and too many situations are different for every person. The bottom line up front is the who ordeal is very expensive with just emission testing that will cost you a few thousand by itself. I pissed away $2600 for emissions testing and never even got my car pass or registered. There are "gas tickets" that can be bought it you can find them for your year car that dealers used to get imports through the system and you will still pay the fee, but not have to test the car as the ticket certifies the car passed in 1991. Sounds stupid and complicated, stand by there is more. It will cost over $5,000 when all said and done, and that depends on the yen/US dollar rate. Right now the yen/US is on your side and the fee to test the 1991 Corvette is 191,000 yen which is about $1,600 US today.

As for all the items you will have to convert to pass the Land and Transportation Office inspection will vary on where you go to inspect it and if assigned in the Yokosuka area. I was near there in Yokohama. Too difficult to explain about the turn signals and brake light with side marker fender light. You can actually tape them to you car with wires hanging until after the inspection. I told you it gets crazy and it depends on where you go and who you get to inspect....there is no standard.

Basically the system is designed to keep import cars out of country. I am assuming you are going there as a DOD Civilian working for the Navy or as a Contractor? Not sure about the Navy, but I had to ask permission to bring the car into country and have it approved by the Transportation Officer for the Army at Camp Zama. I had to justify bring the car and why as well as the condition and how it would not be a liability to the US government as well as an agreement to junk the car at my own expense. Then it depends if you live on post or off, but you need parking permits by the local police and they will ensure you can park it off the street on your leased property.

Sorry, I gotta run and study so that is enough for now to give you some background of the issues. I would like to go back in a few years after 2 years stabilization in the US. The Z will be sold or parted out before I can do so. I won't try to take it back again.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote