View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017   #15
Hog

Default Re: Engine Sound C7 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
I spent a lot of time watching/listening to that footage. Couple things I noted...

1) There is littlie doubt in my mind the engine is supercharged because you can hear the blower whine and those two big air intakes at each side of the front fascia are likely bigger charge air coolers.

2) I heard no "pop-off" valve or wast gate but I did here the typical "drop-throttle cackle" one often hears from C6/C7s with bypass exhausts when you lift at high rpm.

3) The car is loud. in fact, it sounds just like my '12 Z06. I uses a stock exhaust system, but with a backdated, 2-cat mid-section off an '11 to replace the stock, 4-cat mid-section which came on a '12. That coupled with the lower-restriction '12/'13 mufflers makes the car louder when the bypasses are open and makes the cackle louder, too.

4) Sounds like the engine in that car has a somewhat higher rev-limit which doesn't surprise me because they may need to turn the engine faster to gain some power. I'm going to bet that "LT4+" has stuff like an upgraded rotating assembly, Cadillac racing valve lifters, upgraded valve train and etc.

Let me know what you think.
Considering thet the LT4 wears upgraded components as compared to the 14 LT1, I'd bet you are correct. When comparing the LT4 to the LS9, the LS9 does include more "exotic" componentry.
The R1740 TVS 1.7L supercharger of the LT4 spins at up to 20,150 rpm – 5,000 rpm more than the supercharger on the previous 2.3 liter LS9 engine. With 9.4 vs. 9.7psi of boost pressure LT4 vs. LS9.

LS9 was redlined at 6600rpm, GEN 5 LT4 is the same at 6600rpm for fuel shutoff.
We'll probably see forged aluminum pistons, like the GEN IV Ls9 and GEN V LT4, the only other modern GM V8 engines to use such pistons.

Itll be interesting to see whats inside the new GEN V SBC engine.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote