View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013   #7
JThomas

Default Re: 2015 - Another no ZR1 year

I think the C6 ZR1 followed the same "demise" as the C4 ZR-1.

Both cars were approximately twice the price of the standard Corvette. Horsepower was one and a half times the standard car. Production for the C4 ZR-1 went along for six years and the production for the C6 ZR1 lasted only five years. Production declined each year, but I think overall, there were more C4 ZR-1 produced than the current C6 ZR1.

I believe the market and the brand benefitted from both cars, but realistically, I don't think too many Corvette faithful are willing to put up the cash for this Super Corvette. In the end, not many people could tell the difference between the C6 ZR1 from a Z06, which looked like a Grand Sport, etc.

In order for the Super Corvette to really be worth the extra monies, it should be totally set apart from the rest.

In my opinion, which means nothing, I can only see GM repeating this same recipe for the next generation. They will create excitement, which is great for the brand, but in the end, will the car be in high demand? For the first couple of years maybe, for those with disposable income to afford 100,000 dollar pleasure vehicles, but after that it becomes a car that others would be looking for as a great deal, three to four years from now.

NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote