ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-04-2021   #1
ZR1crusader

Default How do I clean the fuel level sensor in my ZR-1

I?m looking for a little guidance. I reached out to Marc Haibeck about my fuel gauge sticking on full. He identified the problem and had two solutions for me right away. The first is to clean the sensor and the second is to replace the u it with an aftermarket piece that will need some fabrication.

I figure I want to go the second route, but I?d like to have Marc do that - I?m figuring that out but it may not happen until Spring.

In the meantime, and this is the point of my post, how difficult would it be for me to try and clean the fuel level sensor myself - and how do I do that myself?
ZR1crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021   #2
secondchance

Default Re: How do I clean the fuel level sensor in my ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1crusader View Post
I?m looking for a little guidance. I reached out to Marc Haibeck about my fuel gauge sticking on full. He identified the problem and had two solutions for me right away. The first is to clean the sensor and the second is to replace the u it with an aftermarket piece that will need some fabrication.

I figure I want to go the second route, but I?d like to have Marc do that - I?m figuring that out but it may not happen until Spring.

In the meantime, and this is the point of my post, how difficult would it be for me to try and clean the fuel level sensor myself - and how do I do that myself?
I have never had to address fuel level sensor sticking so I cannot speculate what is causing it. Having said that, best course of action would be to remove the assembly and visually inspect, move the sensor and try to identify what is hanging it up on top most position. Depending on what is causing it to bind, there may be a way to address the problem.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021   #3
Corvette95

Do you know how to pull the fuel pump assembly...it is not hard. Appears hard the first time you do it. You have to twist and rotate the assembly when removing . Get yourself a service manual ASAP. You will pull the fuel filler plate (torx screws). remove fuel overflow hose, gently remove the rubber boot around the filler neck (careful ..all of this is old and brittle and will tear and or break), remove the fuel lines, remove the 10mm bolts and remove the fuel sending (while twisting) unit with the dual fuel pumps attached. You will see a small plastic "box" where the fuel float moves on contacts to change the resistance (ie fuel level)...my method of cleaning is electrical contact spray a cut down brush in the shape of a Q-Tip. You will also want to change the fuel pumps and strainer as a matter of maintenance, new orings for the 10mm bolts and a new filler neck gasket. I also too hand pump out the tank (if you just got this car) empty all the gas and hand soak up and clean all the rust and gunk you will find on the bottom of the fuel tank. How you clean the sensor depends on what kind of deterioration you may find. There are links in the solution section. (most of the time it is from people storing the car with fuel tank less than full allowing rust and corrosion on the sender unit)
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021   #4
ZR1crusader

Gosh, this forum is awesome. You guys really know your stuff. I have a friend here in town who does this kind of thing more often than I, so I may enlist his services to ensure that I don?t screw anything up worse than it was before going in. Thank you all for the help!
ZR1crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #5
WilliamScarborough1952

I'm so happy that I've joined this forum. Plenty of very helpful tips here before buying a Corvette. I haven't thought that this problem can be solved so easily. Knowing me I'd go to a mechanic and overpay!
WilliamScarborough1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #6
dredgeguy

When you replace the fuel pumps, get rid of the plastic clamps that hold the fuel lines in place with stainless steel clamps. You risk the plastic clamps falling off leaving you with a LT5 starved for fuel and stalling...........ask me how I know!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #7
efnfast

What do we use for fuel pumps? Rock Auto shows one for the ZR-1 (there are two) or, they show the entire assembly which I don't think needs to get changed. Do we change the entire assembly, or just the pumps?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #8
dredgeguy

Just change the two pumps. This is what I use and believe I got them from Rock Auto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_073106 (2).jpg (50.9 KB, 14 views)

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #9
Corvette95

You need to contact Carter200 he makes all kinds of cool billet aluminum connectors such as those to replace the old plastic "Y" adapter for the dual fuel pumps.... I know I am running his products in several areas.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021   #10
Flyman 27

For the fuel level sensor, I cleaned mine with a pencil eraser cut to a wedge shape. Then rub the eraser in line with the wire wraps, not at an angle to the wires, they are fairly fragile.
For the fuel pumps, Haibeck now recommends the Airtex #E3240 along with the strainer Airtex #FS1. These are quickly available on Amazon.
Don't forget to order a new flange gasket.
This is by far the cheapest I have seen, stock up for $10.98ea
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00MW9...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote