ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-19-2015   #1
Bob Eyres

Default Brake Recommendations Please

I've got a 65K mile 91' ZR-1. And it's been sitting in the garage for way too long.
We're waking it up, changing all fluids, and trying to freshen it up overall for the summer.

The brakes are all original. Only one pad replacement since the car was new. Front rotors look o.k., but the rears are worn.

While bleeding the brakes we found that the front caliper was clogged and wouldn't bleed. We're going to pull it off today and see what's up.
I'm wondering what you guys have done to rehab the brakes on your car, and who offers the best deal on parts.

Before you tell me to go out and get a set of drilled or slotted rotors and three or four piston calipers, I've got to say that I'm generally happy with the stock brakes, and their performance. And I really like the bone stock look, no flash.
The only thing I would do to change it is possibly put on stainless braided hoses, as they might give a firmer pedal. (Do they?).

I'm thinking, rehab or replace the calipers if they need it, new rotors for sure, (stock), fresh pads (what kind for normal driving?).

I do like to drag race, but don't spend a lot of time at top-end, or slamming through the twisties, (there aren't any here in Fla.) No track days either.
Who offers the best, cost effective package for the ZR-1. Cost is a factor here.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #2
FU

Default Re: Brake Recommendations Please

The C5 brake upgrade may be of interest , being most of the brake system is in need of replacement already.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #3
Bob Eyres

Thanks Frank. Who has the best write-up on that? Video?
It might be the way to go if new calipers are required anyway.
Old 05-19-2015   #4
gbrtng

Stainless lines are bling only - they do not make a difference in pedal feel - however after all these years, you should think about replacing the stock hoses.

Any OEM-style pad should be fine.
Old 05-19-2015   #5
Bob Eyres

That's what I wondered. Does anybody have a different take on that? I've read in a number of brake co. ads that it provides a firmer pedal feel.
Direct experience? You put them on and it didn't seem to make any difference?
Old 05-19-2015   #6
RussMcB

Steel braided brake lines can help give a stiffer pedal but only very slightly (unless you have very bad lines on the car). New stock hoses would help that, too.

Steel braided lines (made for brake systems) usually have Teflon in place of rubber, which expands less, but most people wouldn't feel that, and it would not shorten braking differences. The steel braid is mostly for protecting the hoses from being cut or chafed.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #7
batchman

Rockauto has HD loaded calipers pretty darn reasonably. Looks like that's your best bet for making it easy, and it would probably come with new retaining pins, which in my world are wear items and seem to have dried up (at least there). In the old days you would hone the cylinders and clean everything up, maybe replace the pistons, new seals & pads and off you go. Nowadays you just replace with reman stuff.

Russ has the tech on the stainless lines, I found they gave a 5% improvement where a 20% was hoped for, but they do give worthwhile robustness and your stock lines are almost certainly aging out. Plus if you do juggle various wheel sizes etc they'll be more immune to a stray tire rub.

The 91 pedal ratio with the stock M/C and front caliper piston combo will never give what I would call a firm brake pedal. Brake upgrades usually just increase the heat capacity (ie for track use), the stock brakes are perfectly able to hit ABS and that is the real stopping power indication. You could argue that C5 parts are more readily available for future maintenance but I've not had a problem with C4 J55 parts - yet.

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #8
gbrtng

The stock lines have steel braiding too - cut one apart some time. If you use any aftermarket part, make sure it is DOT compliant. The ones on my 91 are TUV compliant (European) and that is equal to or better than DOT as I was advised.

CORRECTION: I cut open a stock rear line and there are two layers of braided fabric instead of one braid of steel like the aftermarket stuff.

Last edited by gbrtng; 05-19-2015 at 12:01 PM.
gbrtng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #9
XfireZ51

I love my C6Z brakes both from a performance and aesthetic point of view. However, the upgrade requires wheel and tire upgrade as well, which may probably be more than your interested in doing.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #10
FU

The C5-6 brake upgrade requires A-mold wheels. C5-6 calipers and rotors can be found on E-Bay cheap enough. Conversion brackets can be found for @ 150.00 complete.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote