ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-29-2018   #1
Young1

Default BG & MR alternator change out stories

Many thanks to Jim V for having an alternator and tools to rescue my ZR-1 at MR6. After coming down the mountain the grinding sound could be heard. We left the Z at a gas station for 48 hours. I heard that there are many stories of them waiting to dump at BG or MR. Jim ordered two from Jerry figuring someone at BG would need one after replacing mine. ( Was Rebuilt 6 months prior). I heard he was right! Share your stories here. WAZOO you are great folks!h
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018   #2
secondchance

Default Re: BG & MR alternator change out stories

We end up replacing at least one alternator at Carlisle every year also.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018   #3
A26B

Same end result, but I always bring 1 alternator, 1 starter, set plug wires & 4 coils. Jim called and asked me to bring him 1 alternator, so that why I had 2. I also bring at least 2 full sets of Gaskets & seals. Filled up the Stingray pretty good when we added the Black Widow plenum Greg donated & the 3 boxes of different parts Jerrys Gaskets contributes.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018   #4
dredgeguy

After MR6 when we were about an hour from the Holiday Inn I heard 3 loud bangs under my car. Thought oh well, dropped a header bolt. It was not until we were in BG and came to the first stop sign that I heard a grinding sound just before the car came to a stop. As we were only a few miles from the Holiday Inn, just turned up the radio and figured will look it over in the hotel parking lot. Could not find anything wrong and hoped it was just a pebble or something that was in the brakes. Mark H was unloading his truck so I gave him a hand and told him about the noise. "I know what it is, go pop the hood". He looked on the drivers side and said no, then looked at the passenger side and said bingo, you lost a caliber bolt. Talk about lucky! Now I am not the mechanical one in the group but others said that was the bolt to lose. If it was one of the others then the caliber could have flipped and on MR6 that would have taken me over the mountain. Also happened the day before going on the track....it would have been a disaster if I fell out on the track. The next morning Steve S when to the Chevy dealer and ordered 2 bolts for me. It would be sent in UPS in 2 days. I got to ride with Todd and Robert on the track in their C7's and that was a blast and a learning experience with guys who know what they are doing on a track. When the bolt came in of course it was no exactly correct....I have the C5 brake conversion and while the bolt was the right diameter and threads it was too long. Jim V, Phil W, John G and others figured out that we could make this fix work with some washers. Todd drove me to Lowes a couple of times to pick up supplies and the boys got it fixed up for me. What a gang and what talent! Thanks guys!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018   #5
Young1

Yeah Charlie if you're gonna lose a caliper bolt be sure to lose the lower one. Lose an upper one and that would have chewed up the wheel. Holy cow I rode with you on the Dragon the day before!!! Great group of guys. I will be better prepared next year. B
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #6
alnukem

I also have to thank Jim V., Jerry & all the others who got me back up & running. I was pretty bummed initially. And......they didn't even charge me extra to help........in fact they didn't charge me! What a good club, I seldom get to see these great things in people......it's all about comradery over a 25 year old car.......just awesome! Tim
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018   #7
Bob Eyres

After reading these alternator stories here it makes you wonder if there's any common factor that brings them down. All have age in common, but what about mileage, or other factors?

BTW, I was going to BG this year, (and didn't because of the bad weather down here). While prepping the car we noticed that the alternator output was very low, and changed it out. It probably would have failed in the over 2K mile trip, making me another member of the "alternator club".
I think I'll get the old onerebuilt, and stash it in the storage well.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018   #8
alnukem

Mine was just the voltage regulator, I bought another & will install it in the core, seal-a-meal it & keep it handy. I am kinda thinking that the tight engine compartments & the insulation of plastic & fiberglass takes it toll on older non-metallic components.....kinda makes sense!
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote