ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2014   #1
90ZR1#1221

Default Cooling fans not turning on

So I noticed my cooling fans weren't turning on. Checked the fuse it was good. Unplugged the fan switch so now they both run full time. Does this mean the relays are bad or is there something else I need to check too?
90ZR1#1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Cooling fans not turning on

Here's a schematic from some NON-fan diagnostics on a '94 (never mind my notes)...

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #3
Schrade

Some other notes on this schematic WILL apply to your testing:

On the '90, ECM harness 'C'; socket '6', is the same as A 11, and 2nd fan 'D' 11, is substituted for harness 'A', socket 10, in the diagram.

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-26-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #4
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ZR1#1221 View Post
So I noticed my cooling fans weren't turning on. Checked the fuse it was good. Unplugged the fan switch so now they both run full time. Does this mean the relays are bad or is there something else I need to check too?
If the fans run, the relays are doing their job. Did this problem just start and under what conditions don't they turn on? Where is the "fan switch" you unplugged?
It sounds like you are describing a low freon condition ...
Old 05-26-2014   #5
90ZR1#1221

I unplugged the fan switch on the a/c line located by the right wheel well. I just noticed the problem recently. They don't turn at all if I plug the switch back in.
Old 05-26-2014   #6
gbrtng

That's not a fan switch - it's a normally open switch that closes when the pressure in the hard line is too low for the AC system to run - it's a safety measure, and the fans will not run in that case. Do the AC control head LEDs blink? If so, the AC system is probably low on freon.
Old 05-26-2014   #7
90ZR1#1221

That would make sense. I did have to remove an a/c line to replace the lower radiator hose which would have relieved all the pressure. It has a bad condenser so I never thought to recharge the system since it'll just bleed out eventually. I'll recharge the system and see if the fans will kick on again.
Old 05-26-2014   #8
gbrtng

Best to leave the connector attached - with it disconnected, the AC compressor can run when AC is called for and since there is no freon in the system, you will probably trash the compressor. The fans will cycle normally when the coolant gets hot enough.
Old 05-26-2014   #9
90ZR1#1221

The fans don't cycle at all. At first I thought I had an air pocket in the cooling system and while I was bleeding it was when I realized the fans didn't kick on at all. The temp just keeps climbing and climbing.
Old 07-09-2014   #10
c4koh

Hi OP -

Did you ever get this resolved? I've just come back from a short but spirited trip, and I got temp gage up to 260 and the electronic gage at 261. Fans would not come on. I turned the ignition on (engine off), and connected terminals A and B on the ALDL connector... and both fans are running... so wondering why it's not coming on. Will research more.

Steve
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote