ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-07-2008   #1
SC UL8R1990

Default Loose + battery terminal

Hi folks, my dads ZR-1 seems to have some ongoing issues with the positive battery cable bolt. Even when it is decently tight it seems like there is a crap connection to the battery. I also noticed the negative cable has a much larger bolt going into the battery.....why not the postive also? Any way to upgrade it?

It just seems that the little 5/8" bolt barely makes contact.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
SC UL8R1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #2
SC UL8R1990

Default Re: Loose + battery terminal

nevermind, im a moron. bolt is the same size....however the head of the bolt is a deifferent size, kinda dumb.
Old 08-07-2008   #3
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC UL8R1990
nevermind, im a moron. bolt is the same size....however the head of the bolt is a deifferent size, kinda dumb.
They're the same size on mine - just replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago. Could be someone has put in a mis-sized replacement perhaps.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #4
ZR1FUN

I thought the cable connection bolt to the battery was like 5/16 (small size near this) and they were both the same. The last time I had an experience with two different size battery cable bolts like this, someone had drilled out the one cable to fit a larger bolt thru the cable.
ZR1FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #5
tomtom72

on my 90 the positive and negative attachment bolts are both 5/16" heads.

I think there is a bit of fussing to connect both terminals as they have ridges that inter-lock like gear teeth. If you don't get them to mesh, then the bolt can't hold the cable end to the terminal securely. JMHO.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #6
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC UL8R1990
Hi folks, my dads ZR-1 seems to have some ongoing issues with the positive battery cable bolt. Even when it is decently tight it seems like there is a crap connection to the battery. I also noticed the negative cable has a much larger bolt going into the battery.....why not the postive also? Any way to upgrade it?
Yes, go to Autozone, O'Reilly's or Advance and purchase the standard, OEM replacement battery bolt which has a 5/16" hex head. In the tools section, they usually have a handy little battery wrench with a racheting, box head.

The threads in the battery are blind tapped and shallow. Sounds like the bolt you are using is a tad too long. If so, it will bottom out in the battery threads, leaving the cable "loose".

Jerry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #7
SC UL8R1990

great, thanks for the tips folks.
Old 08-24-2008   #8
Z51JEFF

[IMG][/IMG]Whatever you do dont crank down too much on the battery bolt,you could end up with this.Funny how the guy that I paid to inspect the car failed to notice this,or the guy that sold it too me didnt mention it either.The battery lug will break off the battery and acid will go everywhere.It was so extensive on my car that it ran down into the rocker panel and out the back.Heres a shot AFTER I fixed it.[IMG][/IMG]
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote