ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-03-2023   #1
Matt B

Default Thoughts on ZR-1 and how to grow within the Corvette universe

First of all I didn't know where exactly to put this threat so if the moderators feel it's in the wrong place please re-locate...

When I got back from my New Years day spin, still stunned and thrilled by the brutality of my ZR-1, I was thinking about adding another Corvette to my garage. It's only a vague idea, far away from a concrete plan. But isn't that how many great things start?

I will have a limited budget that already excludes many wonderful items from my wishlist - anything beyond C6 will become too expensive for execution.
In other words anything that exceeds $30k US is our of scope. Too many cars, too little money

My intention would be an unmolested original car, no aftermarket headers, exhaust, shocks, radio, wheels... Just as GM built it. And of course it should be substantially quicker and more nimble than the ZR-1 already is.

So I thought about a C5 Z06 or C6 Z06, with the C6 ZR1 as an option that's probably out of (financial) reach.
Again, as nice as upgraded cars like a ZR-1 Haibeck 510 or modified standard Corvettes are - they are not an option.

What do those of you who had or have the pleasure to drive newer high performance Corvette models in comparison to the ZR-1 think? Is it worth the effort to add another newer in order to increase the pleasure?
And if so, which model would you recommend and why?
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Thoughts on ZR-1 and how to grow within the Corvette universe

I have a C6 Z06 in my collection. Night and day different car from my C4 ZR-1. Another pinnacle motor from the general - largest displacement small block ever produced for Corvette. The LS7 pulls like a freight train all the way to its 7000rpm redline.
I enjoy driving it as much as my ZR-1, but like all of my Corvettes I enjoy each one in a different kind of way. totally worth owning more than 1 corvette!

I had a C5 Z06 in the past. I would not call that car "substantially" quicker than the C4 ZR-1.

cheers,
mikey
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023   #3
Matt B

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that MANY reasons vote for the C6 - the engine, the engine and the engine being the 3 most important. Plus it's a way more refined car (I don't know why people blame the C4 interior for being made of "pure disappointment" - the C5 to me is the pinnacle of cheap plastic and lackluster interior design...).
I remember the positive things you told me about yours when we met at Bowling Green. Though it didn't (yet) light my fire back in the days. Not sure why, must have been an error...

So, I'll dig a bit into the C6 topic. 7 Liter V8. Boy... Coming from the country where they invented the "2 liters is an engine size" fairytale those numbers are HUGE!
ZR-1 #638/1991
Old 01-04-2023   #4
WARP TEN

Let me chime in on my current choice. I might suggest a look at the C7 Z06. I have been heavily invested in the C4 ZR-1 world since about 1993. I owned two C4 ZR-1s over about 20 years and sold my last one in 2016. Really great cars built around an even greater engine. I then ordered a new 2016 C7 Z06. I figured that after owning about 50-60 different high performance, sports and classic cars over my lifetime, I was entitled to a new car with a warranty and an automatic. Nothing against stick shift--most of the cars I owned had one. But the C7's 8 speed automatic with paddle shifters is really impressive. While there is much good to say about all the various iterations of the Corvette, I really liked the styling of the C7 and the fact that is is the last of the great front engined Corvettes. Oh, and the performance? 650 HP, 650 ft lbs, 0-60 under 3 seconds according to GM with impressive handling to boot. Plus it is an absolutely docile daily driver. And it was admittedly a pleasant evolution to 30-year newer technology. When I go down to Marc Haibeck's shop for our roughly monthly lunches, he always insists on driving it to our venue. Says he really likes the automatic. Even with Covid I have put more than 25,000 miles on my C7 including three 2,500-mile plus trips. Getting a little harder to get in and out of, but that will be true of any sports car at my age. I would probably still own a C4 ZR-1 if I had the garage space, but as is I am stuffing 10 pounds of cars in a five pound garage, so only one toy car for me. Really not desperate for a C8--I find the C7 coupe to be an easier and more practical touring car, but if I were a decade or two younger I might have a different feeling. Anyway, I really enjoy the Z06. Food for thought. --Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016VAShow (6).jpg (161.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2016VAShow (8).jpg (201.1 KB, 38 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023   #5
BlueDevlC7z

I have to agree with Bob about the C7Z, it?s the best of the several corvettes I?ve owned/own. But with a budget of $30k it?s still a bit out of reach. The good news is, for your budget, there are a lot of great C6 options you have. There are some higher mileage Z06s that might be a tick over your budget, but a clean, low mileage C6 Z51 is right in this ballpark. I have a C6 Z51 convertible with less than 30k on it with the 4 speed auto. It?s a really great car. Plenty of power, smooth trans, great looks, and very reliable. It rides a little bit more harsh than the C4Z, but that?s what I wanted after selling my C6Z. It never disappoints when I want to take a ride without rowing the gears, puts a grin on my face every time. For the price, it?s actually a steal for the performance it offers. Good luck with your search and adding to your collection The only thing better than owning a corvette is owning several!!!!
BlueDevlC7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023   #6
tccrab

Let's face it.
If you're looking for another rare/exotic/powerful/exciting absolutely beautiful 'Vette to add to your collection, well, here it is.
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/a...rtible/1317662
It's not technically numbers matching, but in this case I suppose the NCRS judges will ignore that little fact.

All I ask is one test drive.
Just one.
And no witnesses.
Or police.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023   #7
Matt B

Well, definitely the holy grail. But for the sake of fairness let's keep it for someone who desperately craves for it

Anyway, my major conclusion so far is: increase the budget. That should be okay.
Only bear in mind that I have to pay a markup of roughly 40-50% before the car finally has a German license plate. Transport, customs, tax (my country is GREEDY), homologation, certification, licence, etc.
A $40k C6 Z06 easily sums up to 60k Euros before it burns its first German tarmac.
A 30 years old and fully stock ZR-1 saves a lot as it benefits from it's classic car status.

As far as the C7 is concerned it's truly an amazing car, the Z06 in particular... Jeff gave me his for a spin during last year's gathering. Awesome, modern and great performing car in every respect. And: it's EXTREMELY beautiful, in- and outside.
Just that it lacks a couple of classic Corvette attributes to me. Its interior is lovely made, in turn there are no iconic 4 round-ish taillights. And it's cramped with high-tech. Nothing bad about high-tech, though. But I prefer less technology.

Those ZR-1, Z06 & ZR1 C4-C6 models are just brute force. Damn cool cars with a built in (and heavily underestimated) superiority. No engineering magic but highly effective in what they do. They are exotic and have a nice hint of insanity... I always loved them for that unpretentiousness.

Well, anyway, lots to think about. Currently the C6 Z06 is my favorite, though there seem to be some issues with the LS7 valve guides. I still have no concrete plans but will spend some more thoughts on it!
ZR-1 #638/1991
Old 01-08-2023   #8
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Keeping budget in mind:
1- Another ZR-1, as different from your current one yet still affordable
2- C-5 Z06, one of the most FUN to drive Corvettes EVER!
3- the 02 Camaro on my website (www.contes.com)
4- An 08 or up C-6 base Convertible 6 speed
5- Buick Grand National (over 30 yrs) Straight line only play suggested

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023   #9
Mikey

Matt,
Don't let the internet stories about LS7 valve guides scare you. My 2006 Z06 is still going strong at 160,000 miles. I'm currently waiting for the drag strip to open back up in March so I can document another high mileage run. Last one was 11.6 @ 124mph. Only thing I've ever done is change spark plugs at 125,000 miles. I did tune the ecu after installing a cold air filter kit when I first bought the car with 30,000 miles on it.
Car has done plenty of track days and served as daily driver for 8 years. Still on the original clutch to boot!

I paid $39,000 for the car in 2010. It owes me nothing!

Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023   #10
Matt B

Thanks, Mike. From all I read so far the C6 Z06 is one of the coolest cars I can think of. 100% Corvette (except of concealed headlamps), bad*ss naturally aspirated engine, crazy fast. And, unlike the C5 Z06, you still can buy tires...

Though I have to admit that #1 on Marty's list has a lot of charm to it. A nice driver quality Haibeck 510 with short gear ratio would be great. Let it be yellow and it would be awesome!!
And Marty - in case I ever find a GNX at a sort of reasonable price it'll tick a box on my bucket list! What a hell of a sleeper!

Bear one thing in mind that I experience over here in Europe fairly ofter. Up to C6, definitely up to C4 models literally NO ONE expects a sleeper. It's different to C7 and C8 models which have quiet a reputation here. You wouldn't believe how many Porsche guys out of the blue try to slap my butt with their Boxter, Cayman or even 911 models - and fail. And it's a hell lot of fun to disappoint someone who, unsolicited I must say, intends to demonstrate the superiority of his car. I'm not a race guy but it's great to win games you not event wanted to play.
So I want my Corvette mainly to be one thing: underestimated and insanely quick. C4-C6 his power models simply work best here

I think there is a lot to discuss and evaluate during the next gathering!!
ZR-1 #638/1991