ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-03-2010   #1
QB93Z

Default Rear Suspension Pictures

SecondChance asked me to get some pictures of high-mile rear tie rod components. The issue is to track down a noise from the rear end of his '94 ZR-1.

Here are some pictures for you (from a 104K mile 1993):

Are the left and right tie rods connected in the center housing, or is it just a pivot point for angular movement?

I guess I need one of you "batwing shiners" to come over and help me clean under my car.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #2
LT5-1935

Default Re: Rear Suspension Pictures

Hey Jim,

I have a set of electronic sensors we can put on to different parts of the rear to see where the noise is coming from
LT5-1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #3
Scrrem

Here's some from a 70K mile'r

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01551.jpg (118.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01554.jpg (105.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01552.jpg (70.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01553.jpg (76.1 KB, 66 views)
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #4
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT5-1935 View Post
Hey Jim,

I have a set of electronic sensors we can put on to different parts of the rear to see where the noise is coming from
That sounds like a tool I need to see in action.

We used to use equipment like that on the submarines.

Jim
Old 02-03-2010   #5
LT5-1935

It is actually called a Wireless Chassis EAR Electronic Stethoscope

works great for finding noise

When we are done with the snow we can get together and give it a try

LT5-1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT5-1935 View Post
It is actually called a Wireless Chassis EAR Electronic Stethoscope

works great for finding noise

When we are done with the snow we can get together and give it a try
I cant wait to hear about this in action
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #7
ZR1Vette

OK.. I see some newer spring insulators and some parts that reflect a 100K+ mileage ZR (my hat off to you for that mileage). Not knowing the exact nature of the "noise from the rear end" my comments deal with deteriorated seals of the axle tie rod to diff carrier assembly and axle tie rod outer sockets.

The obvious problem of lube leakage and possible seal failure would allow for the contamination of the tie rod diff carrier assembly which would cause 'noise' with suspension movement. Here is a 2400 mile ZR of the same part in your first picture>>

And the axle tie rod out socket insulator looks hardened and worn...again compare to a less mileage ZR>>

Regardless of the final determination of noise source would recommend appropriate replacement of worn parts...at 100K+ one would say it is time

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #8
secondchance

Man... You guys are awsome!
For now I ordered both rear wheel bearings - I know dricer side needs replacement anyway.
Also ordered a gasket for the oil pan from Jerry since he started making one for 93 and up.
I talked to Marc and his suggestion was to jack up the spring and release tension on suspension joints and move them around and look for excessive movement.
That noise detector sound intriguing.

That center joint looks like a ball and socket joint. Anyone know?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #9
QB93Z

Thanks for all the comments. And thanks for the additional pictures.

Notice the rear tie rod differences between the 1993 (mine) and the 1990's.

I should clrify what we are doing.

The pictures I (Jim, OP) posted were of my 1993 QB (104K miles). It does not have a noise problem, just cleanliness issues.

SecondChance's (Yun's) car (1994 >110K miles) is the one with the suspension noise. He asked me to post some pics so that we could have an intelligent conversation about the parts of the rear suspension that might be a source of his noise.

Please keep the comments coming.

Jim
Old 02-04-2010   #10
tomtom72

Okay I think I'm stating the obvious but I'll write this any way....

The Toe rod system(?) center of diff mounting to the lower knuckle is a ball joint, well sort of as it uses the same mechanical principals. If you have ever manipulated a ball joint going bad you have felt that it's not smooth, rather it feels notchy as it is moved in the socket. If you drive the studs out of the Knuckle and manipulate them they will either feel smooth and tight or loose and notchy. If they are dry then you could also expect noise something akin to the noise that a shot A-arm bushing makes...that annoying squeaking as the arm actuates over bumps in the road. You didn't describe the noise, high pitched squeaking (rust related) or a bass sounding clunking ( eroded ball & socket with too much end play in the vertical plane ) or snapping sound?

If the boots are cracked then the lube will have all run out and the joint is N/G. It will have rusted, or eroded or both. Too bad we can't lube them up at intervals.

Okay that's my two cents on the situation....

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote