ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-23-2022   #1
Ccmano

Default Dakota Digital Speedo Box Issue.

Has anyone else run into this... changed the diff to a 4.10 and needed speedo correction. Picked up a Dakota Digital SGI-5c, I've done this before with no issues. Wired it in to the yellow VSS wire as directed, provided power and ground to the DD box.

It works fine, however, intermittently, when the car comes to a stop the speedo will read fluctuating speeds from 1 to 100 mph. The car is not moving but the speedo reads the fluctuating speeds! I contacted Dakota Digital and was told I'm getting ground interference.

I've moved the ground three times the last being to the transmission itself and still have the problem. I checked and retightened the battery negative cable at both the battery and where it grounds to the block. I retightened the positive cable as well. The battery checks out with a resting voltage of 12.9 volts. I have routed the signal wires away from each other and made sure they are not next to any other wiring.

I'm running out of ideas. I suppose the alternator could be a cause however there have been no other electrical issues with the car.
Any help would be appreciated. This post will be found in other forums as well.
TIA
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 08-23-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022   #2
geezer

Default Re: Dakota Digital Speedo Box Issue.

Long ago ,if I remember correctly I had this issue with a long gone vehicle & noticed that if the load on the elec. sys was changed ( brake pedal) it would drop to zero. So perhaps it was related to power side. Ran a line direct to battery & problem solved. Box current draw is minimal so wasn't concerned about powering all the time. If that should be of concern use a relay for power when key is on.
Worth trying ??
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022   #3
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
Long ago ,if I remember correctly I had this issue with a long gone vehicle & noticed that if the load on the elec. sys was changed ( brake pedal) it would drop to zero. So perhaps it was related to power side. Ran a line direct to battery & problem solved. Box current draw is minimal so wasn't concerned about powering all the time. If that should be of concern use a relay for power when key is on.
Worth trying ??
Thanks, going direct to the battery for power was going to be my next test. I suspect however the alternator/voltage regulator may be the issue. I want to eliminate all other possibilities before I pull the alternator for testing.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold

Last edited by Ccmano; 08-23-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2022   #4
Mikey

Try tying ground to the same point as VSS and ECU.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022   #5
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Try tying ground to the same point as VSS and ECU.
It's currently grounded to the transmission body. The ECU grounds to G105 and G106 where the bellhousing bolt mounts to the engine at the upper driver side mounting bolt. Attaching the ground to the transmission should accomplish the same thing.

The VSS doesn't have an actual wire ground. It's actually a signal (voltage) generator not a true sensor. As such the two wires coming from it provide reference signals to the ECU. The yellow wire is the high speed signal and the purple wire is the low speed signal. I believe grounding is accomplished via the mounting to the transmission case.

If my theory is correct this should technically accomplish grounding to the same grounds as the ECU and the VSS.

Obviously that's not working out.

My next step will be to wire directly to the battery positive and negative.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
Old 08-25-2022   #6
Mikey

Attach to the exact same bolt the ECU ground is at
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022   #7
Ccmano

So... I tried grounding to G105, G106 and direct to the battery. No change. Still randomly shows speed on the speedometer when standing still. As previously noted G105 and G106 is where the ECU grounds. They are two grounding bolts adjacent to the top bolts (right and left) that hold the bellhousing to the engine. The next step will be to change the positive connection. I'm open to suggestions...
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
Old 08-27-2022   #8
Corvette95

So just thinking, what about wiring your sensor with two "Y" connectors in parallel to a DVM and see a watch the linear curve up and down and then to idle. Kinda of like taping a fuel gauge to your windshield. See if you are getting feedback or find current where it should be zero. Trace back erroneous voltage to its source via a powered circuit tester? I am just spit-balling. If that works you will have several option to correct it.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022   #9
WARP TEN

Hope you get it figured out Hans. But I was wondering, why didn't you just replace the speedo gears rather than go electronic? I had 4.10s put in both my '93 and '95 and I tried an electronic speedo correction unit for a while on the '93 but it never really worked right (older '90s technology was probably the culprit) so I had Marc put the speedo gears in. Never had a problem after that and did the same on the '95 when I got it. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022   #10
Ccmano

So... the answer is AC voltage ripple! No it's not a new adult beverage. This was a learning experience for me. I was probably taught this some where along the line but have since forgotten. Replacing the alternator fixes it. It has seriously bad implications for the cars electronic components. It took out my battery too. Otherwise I think I caught this in time.

I'll be putting up a new post in the next few days to explain in more detail. I may even turn this into a HOTB article.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold