ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-19-2012   #1
weneversleep

Default C5 Z06 owner thinking about a C4 ZR-1

As the title says, I own a pristine 2004 C5 Z06. Red/mod red, 17K miles. My first Vette, and the car that I've always wanted. I do love the car.

However, my "first love" has always been the C4. And, even though I've been looking at "regular" C4s for a while now, I have always lusted after a ZR-1, and I've been looking at them casually as well.

My question is: given that I'm driving a C5 Z06, will I be disappointed with a C4 ZR-1? Obviously, I'm not looking at pure performance stats; I'm beyond that, and I'm looking for another Vette experience. However, once the newness wears off, will I be disappointed by the C4 build quality, the rattles and shakes, and everything else that was improved in the C5 platform?

I'm just posting this to generate some discussion. If I really want a C4 ZR-1, I'll buy one. I just like talking about the cars.
weneversleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #2
cvette98pacecar

Default Re: C5 Z06 owner thinking about a C4 ZR-1

I can tell you this as I own both a C5, and two ZR-1 my C5 is a lot more comfortable to drive. I have no clue what mods you have done to your car. however, if your C5 is stock you have 405HP, the 93 to 95 ZR-1 have 405hp with the torque and power curve of a monster big block.
In lay mans terms at a track you are going to get away from the Z at the gate, but once the Z starts coming there is nothing you can do to stop him from blowing bye you before the traps. Go Drive a ZR-1 and you will understand the true meaning of Permagrin.

I think we should patent that term as a group.

FYI. when you hit 5500 RPM and the car is still pulling hard you have another 1700 RPM before you have to shift.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 09-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by weneversleep View Post
As the title says, I own a pristine 2004 C5 Z06. Red/mod red, 17K miles. My first Vette, and the car that I've always wanted. I do love the car.

However, my "first love" has always been the C4. And, even though I've been looking at "regular" C4s for a while now, I have always lusted after a ZR-1, and I've been looking at them casually as well.

My question is: given that I'm driving a C5 Z06, will I be disappointed with a C4 ZR-1? Obviously, I'm not looking at pure performance stats; I'm beyond that, and I'm looking for another Vette experience. However, once the newness wears off, will I be disappointed by the C4 build quality, the rattles and shakes, and everything else that was improved in the C5 platform?

I'm just posting this to generate some discussion. If I really want a C4 ZR-1, I'll buy one. I just like talking about the cars.
Drive a few and decide! There are quite a few ZR-1 owners in Houstin and I'm sure they wouldn't mind you driving or being a passenger.

What in particular are you looking for? Have you researched them alot and know about what you are looking for? (color? modifications? year?)

When I looked for a ZR-1 it took almost a year and I was all about color....

There is nothing like a Permagrin in 2nd and 3rd @ 7k RPM!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #4
USAFPILOT

As the previous owner of a 2004 Z16...when it came time to choose one of the two Corvettes I owned at the time the ZR-1 stayed and the Z-16 was let go. I do miss it though. If you want to see a ZR-1 in person drop me a pm...I am in Spring.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #5
ScottZ95ZR1

I had a '95 ZR-1 and sold it 3 years ago (damnit).

A few months later a local dealer took a low mile, lightly modified '04 Z16 in on trade and let me have the car for a weekend.

It was fast but just didn't feel right. No offense intended but driving that car was almost boring to me.

I bought another C4 ZR-1. You really should drive one for yourself.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #6
USAFPILOT

yeah the C5's are quick...but I can understand the underwhelming feeling you get behind the wheel of a stock C5 Z06 after a few months with it. What those cars really need is a Heads and Cam upgrade and a short throw shifter, plus exhaust. Once you wake them up they are a BEAST as well. Whats fun about the ZR-1 is all you really need is nothing. 3" Exhaust and Stainless Works headers sure sounds incredible though.

I am by no means putting down a C5 owner, they probably are the better performing car, but if I can gently nudge one into a ZR-1 I think that owner would be happy and surprised with just how sweet the KOTH is.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #7
mike100

difficult comparison since I have a C6 and it has an extra 1/2 liter and nearly 300 lbs less heft to push around.

C5Z's do sort of beg you to 'beat-me beat-me' everytime you get it it, but the ZR-1 is a little less athletic from a dead stop, but just beg to be wound up to the top of third for some reason. It has a unique power delivery- the curve is more useful up high than the LSx engines.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #8
jcruz

I used to own a 97 C5 but I sold it after a few years. I loved the styling and performance but I just didn't enjoy the driving experience like I do with my ZR-1's. One thing that always bugged me with my C5 was the cheap feeling doors, hood, and seats. I don't miss it...in fact, I got rid of my C5 to get another ZR-1!
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #9
JThomas

The two cars are no comparison. I have owned two C5's and liked them both, a '97 automatic coupe and an '03 Z-51 equipped 6-speed coupe.

But my first Corvette was an '89 coupe so I too have a love of C4's.

I currently own a '95 ZR-1 and it is my second ZR-1 and I love it. Yes it is not as comfortable as the C5 or my current C6 Z06, but I love the history of the car and what it meant for Corvette development. It is still a joy to drive and so unique. And when people ask, "Is that a REAL
ZR-1?" I love to open the hood and watch them stare.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #10
RyanChappel

My almost stock (Haibeck mild chip, Sumis) '91 ZR-1 is my third corvette, following a '69 427/390 and a '69 350 (highly modded)...I absolutely love the car, and as others have stated, third gear is unreal.....but the car is a lot of work to drive. Don't know if it is the concentration required or the stress of sitting on/in a stick of dynamite, but there are times I just hop in my daily driver and go, leaving the Z sitting under the cover....Although I do love to see the look on the wife's face at WOT.....!! I wanted one forever, and now I have it....about the only other car I would consider would be a low mileage fixed roof coupe..
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote