ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-29-2014   #1
edram454

Default New Z06

I was riding my 250cc scooter along the Homestead Speedway when I heard the sound of cars racing... went to the front door and was told it was an advanced driving school and it was free to spectators. When I went inside I saw 2 brand new Z06 corvettes racing around the oval. A red one and a silver one. Great looking cars.

Compared to the other cars racing, turbo porsche carreras, mclaren P??, vipers and various other cars bmws, fox body stangs etc.. it held up quite well. The McClaren would pass that z06 like it was standing still. no competition whatsoever. The McClaren owners would change drivers and the next guy would blow my everybody too. It didnt matter who drove it. It would pass everybody easily. There was a C6 GrandSport convertible who practically kept pace with the new z06 around the oval. This guy had the top down and it was an automatic with the stereo on but managed to keep a brisk pace with most of the cars. I have been disappointed that the z06 has lost to the viper in a much televised youtube video on the street not matter how they started,, dead stop or rolling start.. and to see a competitor like McClaren literally beat the tar out of the z06 is demoralizing. It is time for a new ZR1 with at least 750 hp minimum with full carbon fiber body and frame with no less than 2900 pounds and 750 hp with 750 torque. The competition never sleeps and the Corvette should never lag behind.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #2
mike100

Default Re: New Z06

We have been spoiled that each successive model redesign would not be slower than the last, but I guess it was bound to happen at some point. Prices on C6 ZR-1's were looking real do-able for me for a second, but I bet the prices hold steady for a bit if the C7-Z06 can't be woken up by a tune.

The market is pretty soft on out 4th gen cars anyhow so I side-tracked the notion of cashing out and buying up for now.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #3
edram454

I have read a article where the z06 actually has 20 more rwhp than the new viper. But in performance tests the viper starts walking away from it after 60mph. They blame it on the aero package. Apparently to achieve those great track numbers in Germany and other places, the z06 has aggressive aerodynamics to plant the car but in the process steal horsepower in the high end of the range. It is a shame that a new Z06 comes out and gets toasted by a viper with less horsepower. I believe it is the aerodynamics of the car in general. What to do?? Cant add a supercharger since it already has one. We need a big cube twin turbo ZR1 mid engined monster next. 750 hp minimum. Price it where ever you want. Who cares! We need flagship car that kicks azz all over the world and let the few that can afford it buy them. Isnt that what Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes...on and on and on.. do all the time? Make it 250k but make it RUN!!

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
Old 12-30-2014   #4
WB9MCW

If a ZR1 mid engined monster could be made and sold for $150K and be world class competitive that that would be a big win for Chevy and GM + the USA.

I think it could be done but will it is the ? of the hour.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #5
A26B

I think it's understood that there is ALWAYS somebody who is faster.

EDRAM only mentions the McClaren as being faster than the C7 ZO6, stating "Compared to the other cars racing, turbo porsche carreras, mclaren P??, vipers and various other cars bmws, fox body stangs etc.. it held up quite well." Looks like it did well against the rest of the field.

About the youtube video against the Viper. Sounds like the Viper takes it in a rolling start drag race but can't best the C7 ZO6 on the track.

For the C7 ZO6 money, name one production car that can beat all others in all venues of performance, road course, 1/4 mile drag & autocross, etc.

Just to season the mix, how about the variables, IF all else was equal.... driver, tires & modifications (including tune)?

It's really hard to make an apples to apples comparison for all venues and variables. To each his own, but for me, I will look to road racing as the venue the Corvette is engineered for and the sanctioned results.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #6
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I think it's understood that there is ALWAYS somebody who is faster.

EDRAM only mentions the McClaren as being faster than the C7 ZO6, stating "Compared to the other cars racing, turbo porsche carreras, mclaren P??, vipers and various other cars bmws, fox body stangs etc.. it held up quite well." Looks like it did well against the rest of the field.

About the youtube video against the Viper. Sounds like the Viper takes it in a rolling start drag race but can't best the C7 ZO6 on the track.

For the C7 ZO6 money, name one production car that can beat all others in all venues of performance, road course, 1/4 mile drag & autocross, etc.

Just to season the mix, how about the variables, IF all else was equal.... driver, tires & modifications (including tune)?

It's really hard to make an apples to apples comparison for all venues and variables. To each his own, but for me, I will look to road racing as the venue the Corvette is engineered for and the sanctioned results.
It is true there are many variables to consider when comparing the viper and the z06. One of the comparisons was done by a guy that owned a stock 2014 viper with practically no miles who also just bought a new z06 in 100% stock condition. He did the road tests with the help of a couple of friends and found out that the viper outperformed the z06 once it reached 60 mphs. This was purely a acceleration test and not twisties were taken in either car. There is no question that the z06 is more sophisticated than the viper and actually has more torque but the aerodynamics of the car helps as well as it hurts high speed performance.

The Corvette is a road race car and never really designed for drag racing I agree but.. when I am on the street and I just plucked down 87K on a new Z06 and I am on a expressway or turnpike I need to understand that if I come across a viper or a mclaren or any car with more than 600 hp and slippery aerodynamics I can become road kill because of the severe aerodynamic styling of the c7 z06. The z06 held its own.... didnt pass either the Porsche or any of the twin turbo v8 bmw's either. It held its own and was pulling from the Corvette Grand Sport convertible and other lesser performance cars. It was getting mauled by the McClaren in an obscene way. The McClaren was stock by the way.

Unfortunately I did not get to see the turbine powered Mini Cooper that turned on his jet engine and left the parking lot after the track day was over. I heard this jet helicopter sound or sorts and looked around only to see a mini cooper so I continued to look for the sound culprit and when he came back around he stopped and spooled up that mini cooper jet engine and let it co about 300 feet and it left like a rocket ship. I was stunned at that little rocket. He did not race or I did not see him race but that was a radical little ride. The Z06 is not bad but it is not neck and shoulders above the competition either. It no trump card on the road.

ed ramos #3028

Old 12-30-2014   #7
XfireZ51

Ed,

You seriously expect a 80k+ car to manhandle a purpose built $1.5M starship like the P1? Let's interject some reality into the discussion. And there's another youtube where a Z06 chews up a new Viper.
Besides, its pretty unusual to run up on another C4 ZR-1. How often will you be encountering P1s? Although you do live in Florida.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #8
Z06scentair

Why not just buy a used 11-13 ZR1, pulley it down and smoke em all? Saving around 30k.

The LS3 is tried and true as a platform that can handle 750hp +
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #9
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Ed,

You seriously expect a 80k+ car to manhandle a purpose built $1.5M starship like the P1? Let's interject some reality into the discussion. And there's another youtube where a Z06 chews up a new Viper.
Besides, its pretty unusual to run up on another C4 ZR-1. How often will you be encountering P1s? Although you do live in Florida.
I agree the P1 and the new Porsche 918 are in a league all of their own with price tags north of 1m.

I do like the Lexus LFA though!
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014   #10
mike100

For all we know they were $240k McClaren 12C models and not the hybrid hypercar. They are all still twinturbo mid engine machines with active suspension.

Last edited by mike100; 12-30-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: correction
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote