ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012   #1
Kevin

Default Marc Haibeck under plenum dvd...

does anyone have a copy of the under plenum dvd that Marc sells? I need a refresher course.
Old 04-13-2012   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Marc Haibeck under plenum dvd...

no one has one they'd be willing to loan? I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways and a deposit if you felt necessary
Old 04-13-2012   #3
John Boothby

I've been meaning to buy one, but havn't gotten around to gettin it. I've had my plenum off maybe 6-8 times and rebuilt my complete secondary vac system. What do you need to know? I havn't had to work with the injector's yet since the car came with RC's and has been flawless that way. Do you have a FSM or an LT-5 engine suppliment?
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:

Last edited by John Boothby; 04-13-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2012   #4
Kevin

have both the fsm and lt-5 supplement, this also isn't my first plenum pull but I haven't had to do it in probably 8 years so i'm more then a bit rusty. I know I have to drain the coolant, disconnect the fuel line, map sesnor...something under then plenum...my father thinks it's a clip and I think it's a bolt...and there's a c clip somewhere that I have to be careful not to drop...
Old 04-14-2012   #5
John Boothby

I drained the upper coolant resivoir to below the tubes with turkey baster or syphon hose. Then put a good rag under the hose connection at the pass side rear of the plenum when I disconnected it. It usually just drips some.

Do not forget to get a set of gaskets before you start the job. I used the thicker ones from Jerry.

Disconnect all the outer hose and electrical connections. This includes the throttle cables (this takes some patience) and intake duct, pvc lines out of the sides, MAP sensor hose, IAP connector, etc . These are all visible.

I used a piece of cardboard about the size of the plenum, and like a template, marked the plenum bolt holes and numbered them so that as I removed the screws holding down the plenum I could place them in the corresponding hole in the cardboard. It also helps to use plastic baggies to place all the hardware you remove and you can label each to make putting it back together easier and you won't lose any parts.

I used a wooden hammer handle to hold up the front of the plenum so I could disconnect the ignition module and front vac line. If you have help, they can hold it up. Be careful as the clips on the connections are old and can break.

There are 4 connector's (2 in front and 2 in back) of the ignition module under the back of the plenum. There is a vac hose under the front of the plenum (under the air horn) that needs to be disconnected as you lift the front of the plenum up.

Take your time and use the manuals for reference. The plenum screws go back and are torqued to I believe 20fps in a specific sequence shown in the manual.

It really is not that big of a job and you can do it yourself if you just take your time. The hardest part for me was holding the front of the plenum up to disconnect everything underneath. I bought a wooden hammer handle about 12-14 inches long and it worked perfect.

The above is for removing the plenum only, not the IH's.

Have fun. If you have any specific questions when you get into it, I'll try and help.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle

Last edited by John Boothby; 04-14-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-14-2012   #6
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
no one has one they'd be willing to loan? I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways and a deposit if you felt necessary
Or, better yet, cough up the fifty bucks to get one for yourself. Show that skinny guy some respect. He does a lot to educate the rest of us about the LT5.

Like you remind us every time you post, "It's not the car, it's the people."
Old 04-14-2012   #7
USAFPILOT

I hate the brittle old plastic. Those connectors always break. Is there a good technique for securing them again afterwards, maybe a rubber band or something? I figure the pressure and friction will hold it together anyway, and has so far.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
Old 04-14-2012   #8
John Boothby

Most important, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before you do anything!!

Those plastic clips will break!! I find that the plugs will stay secure anyway, as long as you plug them in all the way.

Bob is right about supporting each other. But I also know that $50 bucks is not chicken feed. I am sure it is worth it.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Old 04-14-2012   #9
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
Or, better yet, cough up the fifty bucks to get one for yourself. Show that skinny guy some respect. He does a lot to educate the rest of us about the LT5.

Like you remind us every time you post, "It's not the car, it's the people."
We like to take care of one another if at all possible,thats what we do here.Stick around long enough,you just might need to borrow something sometime.
Old 04-15-2012   #10
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
We like to take care of one another if at all possible,thats what we do here.
That was the point of the post. I'd be very surprised if he bought the DVD and found that he didn't save himself at least $50.00 in time and aggravation.
I don't know of anyone in the hobby that contributes their knowledge of this car for free more than Marc. So when he packages that expertise on a video to help you do a good job, why not let him make a few bucks from it.
Just a thought, not meant to offend anyone.
Closed Thread