ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-02-2016   #1
KPW

Default Belts and Pulleys

After my Water Pump pulley debacle, I had put on a new Continental Belt, #4060802.

Popped the hood the other day to take a look around, and noticed the belt was sitting on the alternator pulley a little funny. Pulled the belt off to inspect it, and saw this nice split lengthwise on the belt:

So, I've got something eating up this belt. I'm inclined to say pulley alignment or something like that. However, I did notice that the alternator pulley has 4 peaks and 5 valleys. All other pulleys have 5 peaks and 6 valleys. Belt matches the 5/6 pattern.

I took a look at the alternator picture at Jerry's Gaskets, and it looks like that pulley has the 5/6 pattern.

What do we think? Do I need a new pulley, a new alternator, or just a new belt?
1991 ZR-1 #1438 Black/Black & Red
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016   #2
Dynomite

Default Belts and Pulleys

Install new alternator pulley with 5 peaks and same diameter.

Use a 15/16 inch offset box wrench and 8mm allen wrench to remove altrnator pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-02-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016   #3
KPW

Default Re: Belts and Pulleys

Thanks. Went out to double check the 15/16" number and noticed that there's a current rating stamped on the alternator. Mine says 108A. Aren't the alternators for these cars supposed to be 120A? Any issues running a lower max current?

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 10-02-2016   #4
KPW

Fair enough. I've had the car two years (seasons) now and it's done OK. Some voltage gauge fluctuations at idle, but I've chalked that up to normal C4 stuff up to this point.

I may swap the pulley in the short term, then look at swapping the alternator over the winter. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1030 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Old 10-11-2016   #5
KPW

Alrighty then. I decided I'd be better off just replacing the alternator now while I've got the chance.

I ordered one from O'reilly (R111799B) ...which I see now is different than R111799A mentioned above. However, the website pointed me at the B version...

Update July 2017: Ordered an alternator R111799B at O'reilly in-store, and it arrived with the appropriate pulley.

When I received the alternator the pulley was too small in diameter (56mm vs the needed 62mm). I went to my local O'reilly, and they helped me order a replacement. Same problem there, so I returned it and did some more research.

Based on some product pictures I was seeing, it looked like there was an AC Delco rebuild that had a promising looking pulley. I called around until I found a shop that had one, and had them measure the pulley for me. Bingo, 62mm. I ordered it, and just got done installing it, and my new belt is very glad for it.

So to make a long story short, the AC Delco 334-2318 is a proper fit off-the-shelf for the ZR-1, pulley and all.

Also, I did this replacement without pulling the plenum or throttle body. [Tools used in square brackets]
  1. Disconnect negative battery cable [5/16 wrench or quick disconnect]
  2. Remove intake duct, airhorn [8mm Nut Driver, T-25 Torx]
  3. Remove oil pressure sender [oil pressure socket...$8 at O'reilly]
  4. OPTIONAL: Remove serpentine belt and belt tensioner (tensioner got in the way of the lower driver side alternator bracket, however it's possible to get to it without removing the tensioner) [1/2 Ratchet/Breaker Bar, 18mm ratcheting box wrench]
  5. Remove upper passenger side alternator bolt and fan guard [13mm socket]
  6. Loosen lower passenger side alternator bolt [13mm socket]
  7. Remove driver side alternator bracketry and bolt [13mm x1, 10mm x3]
  8. Remove rear alternator bolt [10mm ratcheting box wrench]
  9. Loosen rear bolt to IH [10mm socket]
  10. Disconnect alternator electrical connections (battery cable (+), wiring harness) [10mm, fingers]
  11. Remove alternator from vehicle
Installation was basically reverse of removal. Had to get all the alternator bolts started in parallel more or less.

Last edited by KPW; 07-08-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Step #4 marked as optional, as I was able to perform a parking-lot alternator swap without removing the belt tensioner from the vehicle.
Old 10-12-2016   #6
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Alrighty then. I decided I'd be better off just replacing the alternator now while I've got the chance.

I ordered one from O'reilly (R111799B) ...which I see now is different than R111799A mentioned above. However, the website pointed me at the B version...

When I received the alternator the pulley was too small in diameter (56mm vs the needed 62mm). I went to my local O'reilly, and they helped me order a replacement. Same problem there, so I returned it and did some more research.

Based on some product pictures I was seeing, it looked like there was an AC Delco rebuild that had a promising looking pulley. I called around until I found a shop that had one, and had them measure the pulley for me. Bingo, 62mm. I ordered it, and just got done installing it, and my new belt is very glad for it.

So to make a long story short, the AC Delco 334-2318 is a proper fit off-the-shelf for the ZR-1, pulley and all.

Also, I did this replacement without pulling the plenum or throttle body. [Tools used in square brackets]
  1. Disconnect negative battery cable [5/16 wrench or quick disconnect]
  2. Remove intake duct, airhorn [8mm Nut Driver, T-25 Torx]
  3. Remove oil pressure sender [oil pressure socket...$8 at O'reilly]
  4. Remove serpentine belt and belt tensioner (tensioner got in the way of the lower driver side alternator bracket) [1/2 Ratchet/Breaker Bar, 18mm ratcheting box wrench]
  5. Remove upper passenger side alternator bolt and fan guard [13mm socket]
  6. Loosen lower passenger side alternator bolt [13mm socket]
  7. Remove driver side alternator bracketry and bolt [13mm x1, 10mm x3]
  8. Remove rear alternator bolt [10mm ratcheting box wrench]
  9. Loosen rear bolt to IH [10mm socket]
  10. Disconnect alternator electrical connections (battery cable (+), wiring harness) [10mm, fingers]
  11. Remove alternator from vehicle
Installation was basically reverse of removal. Had to get all the alternator bolts started in parallel more or less.
Thanks for posting your procedure for replacing the alternator without removing the Plenum or Throttle Body. I will try it next time I replace an alternator.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #7
Dynomite

Quote:

What is the outside diameter on the face of the correct pulley?
The Pulley on my rebuilt alternator was not the correct diameter so this is getting confusing. I think the correct outside diameter on the face of the pulley is 2.75 inches.

Like your write up on Alternator Replacement without pulling plenum

In the mean time I am making a tool to quickly remove that Alternator Pulley such that no matter which pulley is on the rebuilt alternator I can just switch pulleys during the exchange

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-13-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2016   #8
KPW

Dyno, you're right on the 2.75 inches. There was some serious pulley confusion on my end as well. Glad it's behind me for the moment!

Old 10-18-2016   #9
Dynomite

Quote:
Dyno, you're right on the 2.75 inches. There was some serious pulley confusion on my end as well. Glad it's behind me for the moment!

Like This??

Also...........Note the All Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley below the All Aluminum Alternator Pulley.

See All Aluminum Alternator Pulley

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-18-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2017   #10
garyhugo

KPW just finished replacing an alternator using your method. It worked. Getting the extra deep socket for my oil pressure sensor and swapping pulleys took longer then the replacement.Thanks again.