ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2017   #18
Helium3

Default Re: Shopping for 1st ZR-1

All I can say is that:

1. You need to have a devout love for these cars, and be 110% sure you want a ZR-1.

2. These cars are going on 30 years old and operations and maintenance support for long term reliability is getting smaller. We have a couple shops that know what they're doing and a good parts supplier plus regional club meetups where people work on each others cars. In the last 5 years several shops that were working on them only do C5 and newer or retired.

3. If you're thinking of getting a bigger cube engine, buy it now instead of waiting until later. 390+ CID engine work can exceed 20k easily. Only 2 crank makers (Bryant and Moldex) and both are 5k just for the crank. Neither crank are much lighter than factory one. Only 2 long tube header makers (OBX and Stainless Works). Neither are top notch like American Racing, Borla of Pfadt. Especially OBX. If you love to mod get a newer C5Z or C6Z, way cheaper and massive support for LS engines. The day support for LS engines stops is that day the last drop of gasoline is refined on planet earth.

4. If you're looking to use this as a long term investment I would shy away from that. I recall a gentlemen who had a 95 wrapped in plastic the day he bought it from the factory and held onto it for 20 years expecting value to appreciate. He barely got original MSRP for it. 2015 dollars are not the same as 1995 ones. At least a 60% inflation factor. Maybe one day these cars will command sky high prices like Ferrari Testarossa (512M especially) or air cooled Porsches.

5. Like others have stated; buy from a forum ZR-1/Corvette member if possible. Dealerships charge too much and their mechanics will take one look at the engine and say "heck no, I ain't touching this thing!"

6. Again refer to #1; devout love of these cars who seeks the thrill to improve upon and keep running in top shape.

7. I own 4 of these cars with one being a world challenge with full race bodywork and aero with Jeal headers. Love these cars. Sometimes I regret it and think I must be a real dumba$$ for buying them relative to newer Vettes. When they run right, you add horsepower or put them on a Snake Skinner diet they come alive.
Helium3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying a car, high mileage, low mileage, pros and cons, year comparison