ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2018   #1
rkreigh

Default LSV = zero rwhp

sheesh, been a tough summer, I confirmed the lsv had a serious issue as it hydro locked trying to start. I had been battling a coolant leak and "coolant smell" for years after going to samco hoses

one of them blew on me a couple of months ago and although I was able to get the car off the road right away, getting it home it ran hot (240)

a few weeks later, the coolant leak started to get just a little worse, new hoses didn't fix it and I couldn't find the leak. Oddly enough I didn't see any coolant in the oil (changed it, and kept checking the dip stick), but for sure it was eating coolant.

I tried to start it up a week ago and the engine just refused to turn over and the starter was grinding gears. Sure enough, I pulled the plugs and hit the started and saw the "LSV memorial geyser" and coolant shooting up out of the spark plug hole!

At that point, my heart sank as I thought "how am I ever going to be able to fix this"

soooo....... apart it comes. top end and cooling stack are out, rad was really blocked up, new stronger fans going in from dewitts to keep it cool with ac on.

going with the haibeck MLS head gaskets as they should be a bit better and more forgiving.

check everything out and we'll see what else needs to be done. Demps looked at the porting and it definitely reflects 1997 conservative thinking and may have a bit of room to grow.

Now comes the hard part, getting this thing done in time for Carlisle.

right now I'm a bit bummed. I have 3 vettes and all are down

last night the old pooch 944 turbo (parts chaser) had the clutch go to the floor and stay

I think I need to take up raising chickens or a slight less expensive and less stressful hobby.

I'm going to go fly a model airplane and think about what color engine to go with and quit whinning and start wrenching!!

Went to harbor freight and found a cool tilt a hoist for 39, and a tranny "short scissor" jack for 99 that will work with my 4 post lift and make the tranny pull much easier.

like larry says "get er dun"
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote