ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2008   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: Your ZF6 makes noises or won't shift, what to do?

Yea, Hats off to Tom for this write up! Thanks Tom!

I have some things I've been wondering about with reguard to our zf6 box.

It seems to me that the #1 source of failures can be traced to our hydraulic clutch system not being 100%. I think we all are aware of this one & the recent GM quality control issues with repl. parts....beware & be carefull!

Also it seems that the #2 source of failure can be traced back to this "reverse gear" lack of adequate oiling. Anyone have any info that they would like to share as to 'what exactly is this issue'??? As I understand it this issue relates to the fact that 6th & rev share 'something' and it gets very little lube if the trans is in 6th at high speeds? This lack of oil leads to a welding of 6th to the (?) shaft and locks up the trans??? I guess I'd just like some light thrown on this issue, ya know what not to do or what to do to prevent this, short of rebuilding a working trans as a preventative measure. TIA!

Sorry TC, don't mean to hi-jack your thread. I just figured maybe we should have our trans stuff in one thread for easier reference use.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote