ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-12-2011   #1
ScottZ95ZR1

Default Another Engine Knocking Thread

My car has ran absolutely perfectly this summer but I had not had it out for the last couple of weeks as I've not felt well.
Took her out yesterday for a few hours and was not disappointed. Had a blast and drove it like it was meant to be driven. God, I love this car !

Pulled into the garage and heard a loud knocking sound. I was quite astonished since the car had ran so well. Put her in neutral, applied the e-brake, opened the door and the damn knocking stopped. A few seconds later I closed the door, put it back in first gear and the knocking resumed - louder now. Put it back in neutral and the knocking stopped again. What the heck is going on?
Quite bummed out by this point, I shut the car down and I'll be damned if the knocking didn't continue - but without the engine noise and corsa burbling, I realized the "knock" is coming from the far side of the garage. Crouched down behind her mustang, I find my beautiful wife with a handsaw and plastic mitre box, fighting feverishly with a stubborn, hard piece of oak chair-rail she had asked me to cut days ago.

I was so relieved......until I recognized that look on her face, anyway!
Thought about just turning around and jumping back in the Z but better sense prevailed. I'm going to try to do better on the honey-do list,....between drives anyway!
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #2
jrtoffroad

Default Re: Another Engine Knocking Thread

HAHA! That's great.

Reminds me of a rattle my Z developed after I built my new exhaust. I noticing it when I had it idling in the garage. A couple times I pulled it into my driveway and gave the car a once over, but didn't hear or see anything unusual. Finally I checked it out while running in the garage and guess what?? It was the garage door vibrating.
jrtoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #3
jcruz

Funny! After getting my Z a few weeks ago I was testing out new brake pads and listening to the engine carefully....next thing I hear....CRASH, BANG, some awful breaking sound...I immediately turned it off and was like wtf? I see my wife come around the corner -- she had been dumping glass containers into the recycle bin!

Women...
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

That is a funny story and I needed a good laugh. Thanks for sharing.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #5
WB9MCW

Yep that is a classic all right. Worthy to tell to many for many years.

Thanks for posting it.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011   #6
tomtom72

jez, you had me going there for a minute Scott! I was thinking "oh no not something bad about to happen to Scott!"

Ya gotta mind the honey dew list!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote