ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-08-2013   #151
mgg

Default Re: GB: DRM Coilovers

Craig, I wanted to let you know, that I had a talk with Randy Rippie the other day concerning the spring rates. I asked Randy if he knew the difference between the early ZR-1 transverse leaf spring rates compared to the 425 front / 250 rear coils that he suggested for my car. He said he didn't have the slide rule in front of him jokingly but he estimated that the coil springs were about 10 -15% stiffer than the leafs that they have replaced. Not having had a chance to drive my car much since the conversion and not having had the car aligned yet, I cannot offer too much of an evaluation other than my brief experience running up and down the street to get the suspension to settle. The one thing I know is that these springs are way softer than whats on the race car but my intial feeling is that they feel great. I didn't notice a significant difference in ride quality which is a good thing. I am looking forward to the day of hammering it through some twisties and a launch to see how it feels. I can tell at this stage, no regrets! I just can't say enough good things about Randy Rippie. This guy is as good as it gets. I have known Randy and have done business with DRM for well over 15 years and they have always treated me exceptionally well. Randy is one in a million in this industry and I have all the confidence in the world in them supporting their products and going the extra mile to make it right. Just wanted to share that.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #152
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg View Post
Craig, I wanted to let you know, that I had a talk with Randy Rippie the other day concerning the spring rates. I asked Randy if he knew the difference between the early ZR-1 transverse leaf spring rates compared to the 425 front / 250 rear coils that he suggested for my car. He said he didn't have the slide rule in front of him jokingly but he estimated that the coil springs were about 10 -15% stiffer than the leafs that they have replaced. Not having had a chance to drive my car much since the conversion and not having had the car aligned yet, I cannot offer too much of an evaluation other than my brief experience running up and down the street to get the suspension to settle. The one thing I know is that these springs are way softer than whats on the race car but my intial feeling is that they feel great. I didn't notice a significant difference in ride quality which is a good thing. I am looking forward to the day of hammering it through some twisties and a launch to see how it feels. I can tell at this stage, no regrets! I just can't say enough good things about Randy Rippie. This guy is as good as it gets. I have known Randy and have done business with DRM for well over 15 years and they have always treated me exceptionally well. Randy is one in a million in this industry and I have all the confidence in the world in them supporting their products and going the extra mile to make it right. Just wanted to share that.
Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with DRM and Randy. Yes, I had the same experience while communicating with him back and forth for the past few months and he really took care of me about the shipping to Japan and my military address. I never really did like the feel and the way the car handled even when stock. You know prior to buying my ZR-1 in 2003 I was really searching for an NSX and drove quite a few of them in the process. Now that is a great handling car in stock form and makes even me feel like I'm a Formula Car race driver. I think something is wrong with my suspension how I put it back together when I had it all apart and rebuilding it along with my motor. I think there is binding or something because it just seems bouncy. When I redo everything to put this DRM coilover on I think it should correct the problem since I also bought the full Banski set up too for the rear and it could be my rear shocks are shot from hanging too long during the rebuild. Anyway, best wishes on the rest of the suspension tuning and thanks again.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #153
5ABI VT

I would imagine this GB is long over? Just picking up a Z and am thinking coilovers may be the easiest way to achieve the height I want.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #154
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I would imagine this GB is long over? Just picking up a Z and am thinking coilovers may be the easiest way to achieve the height I want.
Yes, but I'm in the process of doing a set now and can do an extra set if you are interested. I'll PM you the info. Thanks, Carter

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote