ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-13-2013   #1
dondon

Default Reassembled Plenum to Motor - No Start - 0 RPM Cranking

Hi

I think I've diagnosed a future ECM rebuild in my future, however I decided I wanted to put the plenum back on, make sure the car is running as it was before then send the ECM away.

Well after putting the plenum back on (this is #2 for me - 1st one solo) the vehicle cranks, but does not start. While I didn't check the actual fuel pressure, on touching the shrader valve, lots of gas was available. So I'd like to think that isn't an issue, I then made the room dark, hooked a spark plug to #1 observed no spark. I also somewhere in that sequence observed the RPM while cranking on a Tech 1 and it showed 0 RPM.

My gut says 1 of the 4 connectors under the plenum to the DIS is not seated correctly, however the back 2 (observable with a camera phone and MAP sensor removed) appear in good shape. I saw some discussion about accidentally unhooking the coil connectors when plugging in the DIS connector... If they are the two observable from just behind the fuel pressure regulator then they appear pretty tight as well. I was also able to remove the DIS connector and take some photos to verify the pins looking in good shape.

Any thoughts on what idiotic thing I forgot when reassembling or where to check or should I just pull the plenum again and hope to observe something amiss?
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Reassembled Plenum to Motor - No Start - 0 RPM Cranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondon View Post
Hi

I think I've diagnosed a future ECM rebuild in my future, however I decided I wanted to put the plenum back on, make sure the car is running as it was before then send the ECM away.

Well after putting the plenum back on (this is #2 for me - 1st one solo) the vehicle cranks, but does not start. While I didn't check the actual fuel pressure, on touching the shrader valve, lots of gas was available. So I'd like to think that isn't an issue, I then made the room dark, hooked a spark plug to #1 observed no spark. I also somewhere in that sequence observed the RPM while cranking on a Tech 1 and it showed 0 RPM.

My gut says 1 of the 4 connectors under the plenum to the DIS is not seated correctly, however the back 2 (observable with a camera phone and MAP sensor removed) appear in good shape. I saw some discussion about accidentally unhooking the coil connectors when plugging in the DIS connector... If they are the two observable from just behind the fuel pressure regulator then they appear pretty tight as well. I was also able to remove the DIS connector and take some photos to verify the pins looking in good shape.

Any thoughts on what idiotic thing I forgot when reassembling or where to check or should I just pull the plenum again and hope to observe something amiss?
If no spark, then ignition module must not be firing coils. Undo the plenum and yes check the harness connectors. Make sure crank sensor is plugged all the way into DIS. No need to disconnect ignition housing connectors at back of coil packs, just the 4 connectors on Ignition module itself.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #3
LGAFF

I think I had this same issue...bent PIN on the DIS, easy fix
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #4
dondon

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Today I took plenum off again. One pin looked a little fishy, I corrected as best I could. Reassembled... No Start.

I began to scour the net for information, made an offer on a DIS module currently on EBAY. Researched more, and went back to chart A-3 (page 3 of 4). Followed the eventualities and ended up checking the fuse for the "Guages".

It had blown. Replaced the fuse with another fuse in the box. Turned the key and car started right up. Apart from the ego blow and the loss of a day I'm pretty ecstatic about it. Wish I'd just checked the fuse... that may have been the problem all along.

---------------
Solution : Blown Guage Fuse (10A) replaced.
Old 10-20-2013   #5
Dynomite

Quote:

Researched more, and went back to chart A-3 (page 3 of 4). Followed the eventualities and ended up checking the fuse for the "Guages".

It had blown. Replaced the fuse with another fuse in the box. Turned the key and car started right up. Apart from the ego blow and the loss of a day I'm pretty ecstatic about it. Wish I'd just checked the fuse... that may have been the problem all along.

---------------
Solution : Blown Gauge Fuse (10A) replaced.
Another Solution for No Start Issues......noting the zero RPM as a primary symptom
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #6
gbrtng

Quote:

Today I took plenum off again. One pin looked a little fishy, I corrected as best I could. Reassembled... No Start.

I began to scour the net for information, made an offer on a DIS module currently on EBAY. Researched more, and went back to chart A-3 (page 3 of 4). Followed the eventualities and ended up checking the fuse for the "Guages".

---------------
Solution : Blown Guage Fuse (10A) replaced.
The fuse blew for a reason - did you have the battery disconnected when you were working under the plenum?
Old 10-21-2013   #7
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
The fuse blew for a reason - did you have the battery disconnected when you were working under the plenum?
Was thinking the exact same thing here.........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #8
dondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing here.........
I did initially, but while performing tests from the FSM, some of them required power so I did hook up the battery, then disconnected prior to reassembly.