ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-17-2013   #41
Z06scentair

Default Re: 90 ZR-1 need some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
only one person I know with a c6 and wouldn't feel right asking her to drive her car
If you ever come through North Carolina brother look me up!
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #42
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
I am surprised to read about all of the C6 Z06 valve guide failures...is this all or just certain model years?
Mainly from what Ive read its the first few years of the C6 Z06.In the beginning G.M. wouldnt cover the repair for damage.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #43
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Mainly from what Ive read its the first few years of the C6 Z06.In the beginning G.M. wouldnt cover the repair for damage.
They still have not admitted the problem. But i can tell you I have seen 7,8,9,10,11 cars with less that 30k miles with dropped valves. It was not only the early motors. My heads came off at 3k miles and were cnc'd by advanced induction. They replaced the valve guides at the same time.

If you drop a valve on the 7L, the block is toast....get ya pocketbook out! In the end you will have the baddest boat anchor on the lake!

Chevrolet had a similar issue with the c5 z06 2002-2004 valve springs. I broke one on the yellow 02 z06 48k miles...was lucky didnt drop a valve. The broken spring was taken to stork-labs for failure analysis.....guess what? It was brittle from being in the fire too long! Replaced the springs and she was tach twisting once again.

The red 02 z06 had the springs replaced @ 36k never had an issue with the factory springs.

I like the C5 better than the C6 z06 vs. z06. Put a vortec on the LS6 and hold the heck on, cause you will be hard pressed to find another street car keep up!

Last edited by Z06scentair; 11-17-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2013   #44
TCurtner

oh-oh...here we go!
Which car is fastest?
All i know is that my ZR-1 - don't even have headers yet, but do have custom 3" back exhaust from cats, and Haibeck chip with secondary bypass (and shamefully, interior mostly out for track use), and lowered with racing shocks - can lead a pack of cars with 200, 300, 400 more HP and much more torque, and make them work really hard to try and keep up. Case in point, blown 900(I think) HP viper and blown 800+Hp C6 Z06, both with suspension work and latest wheels/tires. Let's just say they were bumfuzzled and impressed beyond measure.

I have YET to figure this car out, how it can blow off so many other vehicles on street and track - it's bad math, I'm sure. Somehow, there is a force-multiplier at work, heck, it may even be spiritual. The car is just surreal...something doesn't compute, but the outcome has become sooooo predictable, that i just keep smiling, and working on my LT5, and enjoying the drive.

Last edited by TCurtner; 11-17-2013 at 07:18 PM.
TCurtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #45
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCurtner View Post
oh-oh...here we go!
Which car is fastest?
All i know is that my ZR-1 - don't even have headers yet, but do have custom 3" back exhaust from cats - can lead a pack of cars with 200, 300, 400 more HP and much more torque, and make them work really hard to try and keep up. Case in point, 900(I think) HP viper and 800+Hp C6 Z06 with suspension and latest wheels tires. Let's just say they were bumfuzzled and impressed beyond measure.

I have YET to figure this car out, how it can blow off so many other vehicles on street and track - it's bad math, I'm sure. Somehow, there is a force-multiplier at work, heck, it may even be spiritual. The car is just surreal...something doesn't compute, but the outcome has become sooooo predictable, that i just keep smiling, and working on my LT5, and enjoying the drive.

Not about whats faster....I was just expressing to Kevin that if he hasnt driven one of the newer cars he should, and any other zr-1 owner for that matter.

I love the ZR-1, It's a different breed!
Old 11-17-2013   #46
TCurtner

True...they are ALL great. I think the 90-95 Z just has a visceral quality that the others lost somehow. Haven't driven the C7 yet, my wife likes 'em so..who knows?? might end up with the Z version thereof.
Old 11-17-2013   #47
Z06scentair

Quote:
True...they are ALL great. I think the 90-95 Z just has a visceral quality that the others lost somehow. Haven't driven the C7 yet, my wife likes 'em so..who knows?? might end up with the Z version thereof.
At the dealership yesterday.....guess what in the service bay? Yep a c7 with issues....imagine that.

Dave told me it had some sort of coolant smell inside that cabin which made it unbearable to drive. GM had flown an engineer down last week to analyze with no root cause established. Man I would like to see that 8D corrective action!

I like em though and with you there, may be another z in the stable next year

Last edited by Z06scentair; 11-17-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2013   #48
TCurtner

The only disagreement that we have had is paddle shifter (her) vs. 7 spd manual (moi). OF COURSE...

Yes our garages would appreciate the new model, now wouldn't they?
Old 11-17-2013   #49
Z06scentair

Quote:
The only disagreement that we have had is paddle shifter (her) vs. 7 spd manual (moi). OF COURSE...

Yes our garages would appreciate the new model, now wouldn't they?
You got that shot right buddy!
Old 11-18-2013   #50
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
I am surprised to read about all of the C6 Z06 valve guide failures...is this all or just certain model years?
Yep!
LS7's have other problems; pistons and rods!
The Drysump system isn't any good for the track!
Mine went Boom on the Dyno!
It was not a fun day!
Now, I have new Cylinder Sleeves, Pistons and Rods.

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote