ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Audio/Electronics

Old 12-27-2013   #1
boyking

Default Is the original Bose worth saving?

Hi,
Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 ZR1 in awesome condition. My original radio head works fine and will play CDs just fine. Unfortunately, my speakers are shot and need new amps. I am down to only the passenger door speaker and it sounds like garbage. I have spoken to the folks at Dr. Don's and would definitely go that route. It will be new amps for the 4 speakers, so ~400.00. This got me thinking, I could get a pretty decent multi-disc, modern head and new speakers for about the same amount. I am not some audiophile, but is the original Bose set-up worth saving? If everything is working properly does it sound nice? I would save all the Bose components, as I really like my cars stock appearing. Getting it all fixed only to be disappointed by the sound quality would make me feel pretty foolish. Bose has always made great stuff, but does 23 years make it seem VERY outdated?

Appreciate you comments.

John
boyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #2
Franke

Default Re: Is the original Bose worth saving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyking View Post
Hi,
Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 ZR1 in awesome condition. My original radio head works fine and will play CDs just fine. Unfortunately, my speakers are shot and need new amps. I am down to only the passenger door speaker and it sounds like garbage. I have spoken to the folks at Dr. Don's and would definitely go that route. It will be new amps for the 4 speakers, so ~400.00. This got me thinking, I could get a pretty decent multi-disc, modern head and new speakers for about the same amount. I am not some audiophile, but is the original Bose set-up worth saving? If everything is working properly does it sound nice? I would save all the Bose components, as I really like my cars stock appearing. Getting it all fixed only to be disappointed by the sound quality would make me feel pretty foolish. Bose has always made great stuff, but does 23 years make it seem VERY outdated?

Appreciate you comments.

John
I guess it depends on several things like do you want to keep it original? Does it give more value when sold? Do you like the dash to look the same?

The Bose in mine sounds great and the amps can be had at a discount price from a junk yard. There are several guys on here talking about Nissan (I think) having the same amps and I remember one guy on here going to a junk yard to buy as many as he could find. We are talking way cheaper compared to on line replacements etc. I fixed mine by replacing the bad electrolytic capacitors in them.
One thing you do get with newer technology is the ability to use iPods etc. etc. Someone on here even modified a Bose head unit for ipods and/or aux inputs. Your call but I am staying with the original stuff.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013   #3
Dynomite

Quote:
Hi,
Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 ZR1 in awesome condition. My original radio head works fine and will play CDs just fine. Unfortunately, my speakers are shot and need new amps.
John
Yes the original Bose IS worth saving

See Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #4
vilant

I sent all four speakers, the head unit, and the other piece buried under the glove box (can't remember the name) to a place in FL (Dr. Don in TX does it also). Had all four speakers and head unit rebuilt, an iPod jack installed with a cord so I could hide it in the center console. Cost $700 w/ a lifetime speaker warranty on the speakers, (have to pay for shipping though if they break). Had I known about this site first, I would've rebuilt the speakers myself. The original system sounds awesome. You have to decide if you like originality or new technology. If your handy, you could install new speakers and head unit yourself for the same or less than a rebuild (depending on what you buy).
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #5
FU

IMO the later years 94-95 Bose sound much better than the early 90-91 year radios. And again IMO (94-5) are well worth saving.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #6
We Gone

Can you have the face plate changed (or keys) on the later head units so the buttons will match? Is it a plug and play swap?

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #7
boyking

Thanks for those who provided their advice and opinion. Like most I prefer the sound of the LT5, so the stereo was not a huge deal. I also prefer originality. That being said, I pulled the four amps out and sent them to Dr. Don's for upgrade and refurb. I was not having much luck with finding amps from the local boneyards, and realized I could just end up buying broken one's or one's that died in a month. The amps I get back will be guaranteed for life, so that's the way I went. I will report my thoughts and results after I get them back and re-install them. Btw, for anyone planning the same job, removing the front amps was easy, the rears were a bit more challenging, but I got them out without breaking anything else.

Thanks again.

John
Old 01-27-2014   #8
boyking

So I am another pleased and satisfied customer of Dr. Don's. Got my four amps back in about a week, and put them back in this weekend. Got in, turned key to ACC and I had great sounding tunes again! Excellent volume I might add. And when there's a break in the music, there is absolute silence, no hissing or static. I like that.

Thanks again to all who encouraged me to keep the Bose and keep it stock.

I made the right choice.

5 more months of of below zero temps and I'll be able to drive it again!

John
Old 01-27-2014   #9
scottfab

Quote:
...snip...

Thanks again to all who encouraged me to keep the Bose and keep it stock.

I made the right choice.

5 more months of of below zero temps and I'll be able to drive it again!

John
Glad it all worked out for you.
Usually what goes wrong with the amps is that one of the electrolytic caps starts leaking (internal electrical leakage not actual leakage). Back in the late 80s there was a world wide infiltration of poor quality caps. Problems surface for years after in all manor of electronics gear. I fix mine some years back (see link) but when the news from Mike hit about the Nissan 95-98 Maxima having the same amps I picked up four for free out of a friends car that was being junked.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...nd-Repair.aspx

Original post from Mike:
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...98&postcount=1

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #10
dredgeguy

Got my Bose repaired and upgraded by Dr. Don. Have the AUX input directly wired into the radio and have the input installed in my center console. All the looks of stock with modern features. Thanks to SecondChance for doing the install for me. Have attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4740 (2).jpg (45.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4741 (2).jpg (48.2 KB, 81 views)

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote