ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-20-2017   #11
WARP TEN

Default Re: Battery Disconnect

I have a used one like the one Dynomite uses for his ZR-1 batteries and also a new one for a top post battery that I no longer need. I will plan to bring them to BG if anyone wants them.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #12
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I have a used one like the one Dynomite uses for his ZR-1 batteries and also a new one for a top post battery that I no longer need. I will plan to bring them to BG if anyone wants them.--Bob

Heck . I would like the side mount one Bob . My battery is side mount connections .See you in BG .

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #13
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Remove or disconnect the negative terminal and leave them cold. Lead Acid batteries store better in the cold.

If you put a volt meter on any lead acid battery it will discharge slowly over the months, which why a trickle or float charger is used.
SLOWLY for sure .......... after 4 months with batteries disconnected the turn over of the starter was as good as when the batteries were disconnected. NO Noticeable discharge during disconnection. Not worth the time and effort putting batteries on trickle charger.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-20-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Not disputing anything Cliff has said, with regard to his experience, but lead acid batteries WILL discharge over time. And, the chemical reaction between the sulfuric acid and the lead plates forms a crystalline barrier which
  • reduces the charge in the process, and
  • the sulfate formed reduces the capacity of the batter by effectively reducing the surface area of the plates in which the reaction may occur to produce the electrical power.

Cold storage does retard this sulfate formation, and there too the drain on the specific gravity of the electrolyte. So, a battery in good condition, or with sufficient reserve to start (an LT5) even after several months of deteriorating, may be perfectly satisfactory to some (most?).

Using the smart chargers whenever the car is in the garage, I have received full power and capacity from one battery (in Ami's C3 Vette) for 10 years now. Would that have been possible if I'd used the cut-out over the years? I dunno...maybe, or maybe not.

And, I've gone thru 3 of the smart chargers too. (lightning strikes are killers!) So, were those chargers worth the money and electricity to run them? Hmmmm...

Well, in view of Cliff's experience, regardless of the specific temporary degrading of the batteries due to long term non-use, the avoidance of un-attended battery charging liabilities, AND the possibility of rodents causing a short resulting in a fire that might have been avoided with a cut-off switch...I leave y'all with a conundrum.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #15
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Heck . I would like the side mount one Bob . My battery is side mount connections .See you in BG .

I will consider it yours. Just find me when you get there; I will be arriving in BG Wednesday night and unfortunately have to leave on Saturday morning. I will do my best to remember to bring it--it is at the top of my "To Bring" list!--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote