Default Re: Calculating torque

451/403
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017   #12
Dynomite

Default Re: Calculating torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I agree w/ lfalzarano. i.e., "approximately" is right on.

Steve: The formula HP = (TxRPM)/5252 is not in question, but depending on who's correction factor one uses depends on the vehicle. the 0.85 correction factor (CF) is generally accepted to be "accurate" for our cars w/ the ZF trans, but if you compare numbers measured at the wheels to values (supposedly measured) at the crank, it quickly becomes obvious that the CF can very: i.e., there is no concrete or universal CF.

Then there's other corrections dialed in, e.g., air temp, altitude, etc. A quote from one of the car rags years ago: "Within reason, tell me what you want the dyno results to be, and I'll dial up conditions that will give you the results you want to see!"

Want more? Enter the Mustang dyno - designed to consider wind resistance as speed increases, which is deducted from the HP/Torque output display. And, the Mustang too considers temperature and barometric conditions at the time of the test.

Dynojet (inertia type) vs. Mustang: The "Jet" provides relative (before and after) raw data, whereas the Mustang provides massaged data better suited perhaps for predicting actual acceleration/max speed. And as always, "Garbage in = garbage out!" The less the raw (measurement) data is manipulated, the more accurate. Because differences in machines' calibration, i.e., which standard (SAE #xxxx, etc) is incorporated, plus atmospheric conditions entered at the time of the test, results between two machines or machine operators can vary significantly.

So, what to do??? For one, choose whatever machine/operator combination you trust for your application, and limit all your data collection to that combination! And, for another, I focus more on the rear wheel data and relative results/actual track results, and refer to the calculated "at the crank" measurements more for "bragging rights".
This is how you get the "formula"

Tech Info - LT5 Horsepower and Torque Calculations

For some more fun

ZR-1/LT5 Technical Calculations
Post 201 - ZR-1/LT5 Technical Calculations
Post 202 - Tech Info - LT5 Horsepower and Torque Calculations
Post 203 - Tech Info - ZR1 Differential Gearing and Vehicle Speed Calculations
Post 204 - Tech Info - ZR1 Wind Force, Rolling Resistance, Drivetrain Loss Calculations
Post 205 - Tech Info - LT5 Camshaft Timing Calculations
Post 206 - Tech Info - LT5 Pressure Drop In Oil Lines Calculations
Post 207 - Tech Info - RC SL4-205 injectors (500+ hp) Calculations
Post 208 - Tech Info - LT5 Summary of Camshaft Timing
Post 209 - Tech Info - LT5 Timing Diagrams
Post 210 - Tech Info - L98 Frisbee Horsepower
Post 211 - Tech Info - LT5 Coolant Flow Calculations
Post 212 - Calculating Alternator Pulley Diameter

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-29-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote