ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 02-28-2018   #21
Ccmano

Default Re: Bright red 1990 zr-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Does anyone know why in the rear muffler one hole is closed? Attachment 7095
Prevents resonance. One of the reasons the 90’ systems are so restrictive.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018   #22
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
New shoes

I hope that will be better traction, but I 'm wondering how they will works on wet Attachment 7085

Toyo R888...they stick like glue when it's dry, but I wouldn't use them in the wet unless you really need to.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018   #23
tommy

"Prevents resonance. One of the reasons the 90’ systems are so restrictive"

Do you know what will happen if i cut it, will be loud, sound will be better or worst...?

Last edited by tommy; 02-28-2018 at 03:36 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018   #24
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Toyo R888...they stick like glue when it's dry, but I wouldn't use them in the wet unless you really need to.
Thanks, I expected that it's better not to ride on a wet, so i will drive only in dry days
Old 02-28-2018   #25
Ccmano

Quote:
"Prevents resonance. One of the reasons the 90’ systems are so restrictive"

Do you know what will happen if i cut it, will be loud, sound will be better or worst...?
It will drone (resonate) badly in low rpm ranges and possibly be slightly louder. You won’t like the drone.

Here a write up from “Warpten” on this subject. Bob does a nice job explaining it.

“This has been discussed over the years and relates to the construction of the muffler to reduce resonance. There should be several threads related to resonance that discuss this. One exhaust pipe goes into each muffler and two tailpipes come out, but only one actually flows exhaust straight out; the other is mostly cosmetic. If you cut one of your mufflers in half horizontally you would find that the rear two thirds of each muffler is a closed chamber with a 1 " or so diameter tube going into it. (Sometimes there is a small 1/2" dia. tube that goes through the chamber but doesn't connect with it to flow just a little bit a exhaust. Not sure why other than a bit more pressure relief).

The chamber is called a Helmholtz resonator and it engineered to be a specific shape and volume to cancel out one of the two main natural frequencies that our engines generate that create the intense resonance or "droning" under light to moderate load at 1800 and 3400 rpms that you have heard many with certain aftermarket exhaust systems complain about. The exact shape and size allow for sound waves of a specific frequency to enter the chamber, bounce around and cancel each other out. The center resonator also has such a Helmholtz resonator for the 3400 rpm frequency of 230 Hz; the mufflers deal with the 1800 rpm one of 120 Hz.

Sometime people drill out the dummy tailpipe thinking they will get better performance and a better sound. They are rewarded with the same performance and a loud droning at 1800 rpm. Bad idea. Corsa also uses Helmholtz resonators, and I suspect some newer ones of other makes now do too. Most of my research on this was done in the 90s; I am sure that several manufacturers hove found solutions to this problem. At the time, only the stock and Corsa systems tamed the resonance. Hope that helps--Bob”
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018   #26
Crusin

Hard to beat that Bright Red for a ZR-1 Tommy. Nice to see you take TLC with it. We both have the same vette. Congrats enjoy the ride.
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018   #27
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusin View Post
Hard to beat that Bright Red for a ZR-1 Tommy. Nice to see you take TLC with it. We both have the same vette. Congrats enjoy the ride.
Thanks, i saw yours, looks great too!
Old 09-13-2018   #28
tommy

Last weekend i was in big cars meeting in Poland, below you can see video how looks zr1 after correction of paint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLIKYtkN08&t
Old 10-01-2018   #29
G-Sting

Quote:
Last weekend i was in big cars meeting in Poland, below you can see video how looks zr1 after correction of paint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLIKYtkN08&t

The Z and the paint & polish looks amazing!
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018   #30
tommy

Quote:
The Z and the paint & polish looks amazing!
THX, winter is coming, so at this year i plan check brake system because i think that should work better. First i want to change brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 5.1, second i will change brake pads, so i hope thats enought