ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-02-2020   #21
Weeberone

Default Re: Clutch "flare"

Does anyone want to help me procure this shims? I can’t seem to find any locally and everywhere online either won’t ship to Canada or wants to charge me $50 for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Red/Saddle #1521
Weeberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020   #22
Weeberone

Does the roller bearing pilot bushing require any special lubrication, or does it just go in as is?
1990 Red/Saddle #1521
Old 03-06-2020   #23
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeberone View Post
Does the roller bearing pilot bushing require any special lubrication, or does it just go in as is?
I would defer to the manufacture of bearing for advice. That said, the bronze bushing with the flutes is recommended by many over the roller bearing pilot.

I suggest you ask Marc Haibeck for his recommendation, as Marc sees or has seen more of those ZR-1 clutches than practically anybody. (But, for what it is worth, I have the roller bearing pilot installed in my car - for the past 9-10 years and 40k miles. But, maybe I should mention that I avoid holding the clutch pedal down when idling, e.g., at a stop light, etc., which I think reduces wear and tear on that bearing.)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-06-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020   #24
Weeberone

Opinions on this clutch? Particularly the surface of the flywheel and pressure plate.

1990 Red/Saddle #1521
Old 03-08-2020   #25
Ccmano

The flywheel looks pretty normal. The pressure plate is suspect, showing a somewhat normal look on the outside and different look on the inside. Measure them per the specs in the article from Marc Haibeck. As a matter of fact I would run that photo of the PP by Marc and see what he says. Make sure there are no gouges or pits. Doesn’t look like it. If they check out I would scour with a scotchbrite pad to get gloss off and reuse them. The disc looks like it’s about done, getting thin at the outer edges. I would replace the disc. Cleanup the throw out bearing and make sure it runs smoothly. They are sealed bearings. They’re either good or they’re not. Grease the center lightly with hi temp grease where it fits to the input shaft. Install an new pilot bearing, flutted brass or roller bearing, opinions differ of which is best. I like the flutted brass.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020   #26
Weeberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
The flywheel looks pretty normal. The pressure plate is suspect, showing a somewhat normal look on the outside and different look on the inside. Measure them per the specs in the article from Marc Haibeck. As a matter of fact I would run that photo of the PP by Marc and see what he says. Make sure there are no gouges or pits. Doesn’t look like it. If they check out I would scour with a scotchbrite pad to get gloss off and reuse them. The disc looks like it’s about done, getting thin at the outer edges. I would replace the disc. Cleanup the throw out bearing and make sure it runs smoothly. They are sealed bearings. They’re either good or they’re not. Grease the center lightly with hi temp grease where it fits to the input shaft. Install an new pilot bearing, flutted brass or roller bearing, opinions differ of which is best. I like the flutted brass.

H

Thanks for the input. I have a new Centerforce disk as per MH’s clutch article. I also have a roller bearing pilot bearing. Just waiting for a tool to pull it out.

The pressure plate and flywheel don’t have any pits or gouges, just that coloring, which I needed some input if it was normal or not. I’ll hit it with the scotch brite and see what it looks like.

I’m hoping just the disk is needed.

1990 Red/Saddle #1521
Old 03-09-2020   #27
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeberone View Post
Thanks for the input. I have a new Centerforce disk as per MH’s clutch article. I also have a roller bearing pilot bearing. Just waiting for a tool to pull it out.

The pressure plate and flywheel don’t have any pits or gouges, just that coloring, which I needed some input if it was normal or not. I’ll hit it with the scotch brite and see what it looks like.

I’m hoping just the disk is needed.

As for the puller, you can "rent" it at AutoZone, and return it and get your deposit back. OR, you can keep it and just forfeit the deposit. And, if you intend to keep the tool, let them know ahead of time and they'll issue you an brand new tool as your "rental". I've got several nice tools that way!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020   #28
jss06c6

They look pretty good to me, I've seen far worse. Bill Boudreau takes in rebuildable clutch discs, yours is definitely rebuildable.

He also has a machine shop that he personally certified to resurface the DM. I've had one done by Bill, perfect, like new. He can also disassemble the Valeo PP for rebuild I believe..

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote