Default Re: Moving drivers seat forward

And $100 more expensive.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023   #12
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Moving drivers seat forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
You make a good point - "I would not have adjusted the seats anymore forward because of the airbag. It's could be a serious safety issue for the driver."
I don't know if an inch makes a real difference but if you are small and closer and get hit in the face with that thing, it could. That's why I suggested moving the pedals closer instead of the seat. But moving the seat forward an inch may also make it easier to reach the steering wheel if that were a problem too.
Just tell her to drive slow (Ha).
The reality is "she" could have been doing everything right before being hit. It happens everyday. Please don't take me down a road of pronouns. Let's just assume the spouse is "she". I dont want to offend anybody.

When you modify anything on any car you have normally put it beyond accepted engineered solutions. There is always an offset.. More power, requires more cooling, braking, etc. now back to the airbags. These are not "smart air bags or Gen III airbag. The 90 Corvette was one of the "first" in any American car to have an air bag and dual airbags in 94.

If these airbags do deploy... they are coming out at one speed. Do I really think an inch makes the difference? Maybe or Maybe not but I caution anybody that modifies a seat by moving it closer should consider it as a potential problem. If is deploys earlier than it would have with a calculated restraint factor. Or not soon enough calculation because the "math" at the time took into consideration the 5ft 10inch person in the seat should not be in this space yet but now they are closer than designed.

It may be "ok" I honestly don't know... However I do know a lot about 2nd and 3rd orders of effects on decisions

I would have went with a pedal decision that moved them rearward to avoid the occupant to have to move forward beyond the engineered design ...

That's all..... your mileage may vary.....
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 05-01-2023 at 04:05 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote