ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-02-2008   #1
Artic93

Default Selling the 93 Battery needs replaced ?

Has anyone tried a trickel charge on a dead battery? I can use a jump box to get it running but the next day its dead again. I looked up the replacement proceedure, and that looks like a PITA. Anyone have any experience with replacing the battery in these?
BTW I'm listing the car this week. Artic/Black 14K miles both tops lots of documentation show quality.

jason
Artic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #2
32valvZ

Default Re: Selling the 93 Battery needs replaced ?

Battery replacement is actually pretty easy if you follow the FSM or a Haynes/Chilton etc. Just remove the lower valance screws under the door. Then you can get to the lower bolt for the side cover easily. The rest is pretty straight forward.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #3
Z Factor

Lightbulb Re: Selling the 93 Battery needs replaced ?

SELLING

A trickle charger will not fully recharge a dead battery. If it is salvageable, you will need to use a regular charger for 2-4 hours depending on the charger and battery. Don't forget to add distilled water unless it is maintenance free.

As to changing out the battery I will try to walk you through it as best as I can remember. For this project, you’ll need Torx sockets, a 7mm, 10mm and 13mm socket and ratchet, and a 5/16-inch wrench.

As with any job like this disconnect the battery first.
Next, remove the battery side cover by first opening your door and you will see some small Torx screws that retain part of the rocker molding. You will only need to remove the first two screws.
At the side cover, there are two bolts that retain the back of the cover. Use a 10mm wrench to remove the top bolt in the rear of the panel. Then remove all of the Torx bolts from the top edge of the side panel all the way to the bottom edge of the panel. Then gently pry the rocker molding away so you can see the rear panel bolt. Using your 10mm wrench, loosen the bolt but do not remove it. Then carefully remove the panel. Use a 13mm socket to remove the battery hold-down bolt and clamp, then remove the battery. Clean up the area of any corrosion/debris since you will hopefully not be back again for many years. Then just reverse the process.

Lastly, if you do not want to completely lose power during the change, by a battery back-up that plugs into your cigarette lighter. You can get a small one that is inexpensive, or you can by one of those all in one jobs that also has jump start and charging along with tire inflator, light etc. I use a small one for any battery change I make in any vehicle so you do not have to reprogram settings, codes, etc.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote