ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-22-2010   #21
xxxscimitarxxx

Default Re: 200mph ???

Im humbled by the knowlege of you guys....

Theres much more to this than first comes to mind, and as said, for me personally lm just going to aim for an autobahn run with a handful of cheap mods, the best possible conditions, and see what l can get over book. An Autobahn is not the ideal place to find out just how fast the Zed will go but its all we have over here that approches being legal.

I envy you guys your opportunity to participate in the variety of legally endorsed road sports that you have in the US. anyone trying to organise something like the BBORR in europe would only invite the scorn of the ''you cant do that'' brigade.....

''its not safe....you might kill a hedgehog....its environmentally unfreindly''
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #22
cward

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxscimitarxxx View Post
well it seems like there more too it than duct tape and soiled underwear, and forced road wheel balancing would seem to be a personal insurance must have....but this summer is planned to be my autobahn visit so will just do what l can for anything over the theoretical limit and see what l get on the clock....find the best section of road....wait my time for least traffic....and just do it !!....lm not after breaking any official records here....just my own

Since you want to try to go fast, a couple of comments. The most important thing in my mind is tires. Make sure you have very good tires. Most of the wrecks in the ORRs are tire related. At about 170 or so the stock body C4 with stock suspension starts getting very light in the rearend. It generates about 300 lbs of lift @ about 180+ according to Graham B. and that felt about right. In the 2001 race, I was using the stock suspension. In 2002 I had coil-overs. 180 in 2001 was harder driving than the 200 in 2002 mainly because of the much smaller amount of air flowing under the car. With under 400 rwhp it takes awhile to increase speed at 170+. Pick a very long straight. Also, I would suggest increasing the tire pressure in front by a couple of lbs and lower the rear tire pressure by a couple of lbs. to tighten up the the car some.

Just for info, in 1999 BBORR I raced #364 with only about 335 rwhp, stock gears and tires. It would only do 179 on the 7 mile straight. If you look at the results page I think I am not there again because I had a tech speed of 160 and the radar caught me at about 175 or so. Disqualified. My best race was in 2001 when the car would only go 180 or so. I finished 1st in class and 2nd overall. In the 2002 race, if I had not been DQd I would have finished 1st in class and 3rd overall. By the way, Rick Doria was also DQd in the 2002 race driving his stock ZR-1 street car. The reason so many were DQd that year was we were told quietly that we would not be DQd on tech because of the shortened race. We didn't start the race until about 3pm.

Good Luck.

Curtis

PS: Get some life insurance before trying to go fast on a public highway with other cars on the road. My wife had me increase mine $300,000 before 1999 race.
91 ZR-1 #364 RIP
cward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #23
xxxscimitarxxx

Thanks Curtis...coming from you its valued hands on ''been there done that'' info ( and to all others who have added l give equal thanks)

its a personal challenge but needs to be safe as l can make it for sure.....lm on nearly new michelin pilot sport and apart from some simple aero mods, if l can make over book 180 l will be very happy (probably to be alive).....

as for insurance....hmmmmm....lve got an 18 month old daughter so its something to think about

thanks Curtis

thanks all
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote