ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 05-25-2021   #91
Prez1967

Default Re: Meet Bluey! 1994 #353

Not much progress lately but some news!

Talked with a local Wazoo member and he was kind enough to send me one of his home brewed lowering kits! Removed the front leaf spring and this revealed even more greasy crevices that need cleaning LOL

A couple months ago I placed an order with Marc Haibeck for a set of Stainless Works headers and was told that they would likely take until Fall or Winter to get in hand. Imagine my surprise when Marc called me today to let me know that they were in and ready to ship!

Just so happens that there seems to be plenty of room with most of the front end of the vehicle missing LOL

Deeper down the rabbit hole we go. Goal is to drive it to Carlisle in August but to make deadlines fun, I'll be overseas for 6 weeks starting in less than a month. WOOHOO
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021   #92
conesare2seconds

Tell us more about the lowering kit. 😎
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021   #93
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by conesare2seconds View Post
Tell us more about the lowering kit. 😎
Its similar to this: https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corv...hoCxPMQAvD_BwE

But the member uses a more durable material for the replacement plastic strips and machines the factory retainers down himself.

Im waiting on the adhesive to arrive from Amazon (when did most of their stuff take days to arrive even with Prime?) and i'll get to setting everything up!
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 05-30-2021   #94
Prez1967

Small progress again!

The passenger side header came out relatively easily (about an hour).

As many have mentioned, the heat shields are more of a PIA than the rest of the job.

I had originally thought the car still had its EGR system in tact and had ordered an EGR equipped header set up from Marc. After removing the heat shields I was surprised to see that the EGR tubes on the headers were capped off!

Called Marc and asked if there was a way to switch out the headers (less pipes/tubes to complicate install) for a non-EGR Set. He said I could assuming I didnt mind waiting for his next batch in August.

Fast forward to yesterday when FedEx dropped off the headers. NO EGR TUBES!!!

I was originally against running cats because of the weight penalty and space needed but these little guys weigh close to nothing and take up little space!

The headers themselves are also very light and compact vs the OEM pieces. passenger side slid right into place and there seems to be tons of space for bolt access.

Marc commented that using Grade 8 Locking Header Bolts is a PIA and not necessary but given how much space I see is available to get them in there, the peace of mind they offer will be welcome. God knows I dont want to have to dig around in here after the car is re-assembled.

Debating if I should drop the tranny for clutch inspection now or if I should start buttoning up the front end first before I start unbolting more and more of the car.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 07-15-2021   #95
Matt B

Definitely a pair of damn cool looking headers! Well you run them without any additional heat shield?

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021   #96
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Definitely a pair of damn cool looking headers! Well you run them without any additional heat shield?

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
They really are beautiful!

Im not planning on running any heat shields for the time being.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 08-08-2021   #97
Prez1967

AMAZING progress yesterday and it would not have been possible without the help of 4 WAZOO members.

Charlie, Dan, Rich and Jim showed up to my house yesterday and the 5 of us knocked out a ton of work. I will never stop loving the ZR1 owners community and for that reason will never sell my Z!

Work Completed:

Rear Control Arms with SuperPro Bushinigs
VanSteel Rear Toe Rod Kit
Lowering Bolts

Installed Rebuilt PS Pump and Rack
Installed Cooling System
Installed A/C Lines
Stainless Works Headers with Grade 8 Bolts installed

If anyone knows the name of the guy who designed the PS Pump/Reservoir/Bracket assembly, feel free to forward me the info. I'd love to express my immense appreciation for the soup sandwich that he blessed us with...

I still need to reassemble the front suspension, reinstall rear brakes, install Corsa Exhaust, get the fluids topped off and get my chip up to Haibeck for a tune. Should hopefully get a bunch of the remaining tasks completed this week!

Looks like Image Shack's 30 day free trial (I didnt know that was a thing) has ended so once I find a new hosting service, I'll get updated pictures posted.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 08-08-2021   #98
Prez1967

Lets try attaching pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A913C72F-EB03-4066-AD9C-2750E607B9B6.jpg (187.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 0C1DD9AB-F8D7-4A84-A81B-C338F0CC2723.jpg (149.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 29DA5421-F8C0-478B-A3DA-2B11BFF45E49.jpg (171.9 KB, 57 views)
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 08-24-2021   #99
Prez1967

Made some progress last Sunday.

Was determined that the car needed to start. Needed to finish installing the headers, and the rest of the exhaust.

As with any project I took two steps forward and one step back. I had send my chip to Mark Haibeck to get it re-flashed for the header install and he noticed that my fan settings were too low. He also noticed that the knocks sensor module installed on my chip was for a 1991 vehicle and sold me the correct module for my car.

I had previously bought the Corsa cat back from a registry member pre-owned. Its resonator section was hacked up so I ordered fresh parts from Corsa. The muffler install proved to be the hardest part as the drivers side slip fitting was crimped down to the point it wouldnt slip over the new resonator pipe. Three trips to two different Auto Zones (their tool rental program rocks but both times ive used it the first tool I receive ends up being broken) I got everything installed.

First Start Video (really should have cycled the key)

https://youtube.com/shorts/39Q52Le8ZoE?feature=share

Another delay was caused by my rear sway bar. Figured since I bought new bushings for it, no time like the present! The end link bushings proved to be a bit of a pain. Got the bar bushings on, but the end link bushings were not willing to go into place with the tools I had on hand. To be continued.

At least the car started. Now to fill the cooling system and bleed the power steering. Ensure no leaks in these systems, and the headers/exhaust and align the tips in the bumper (they are currently making contact with bumper).

Then its off to finish the suspension install and new tires! And a bunch of other delays along the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62FC35C7-C7FF-4A62-A0D8-3C11DE63892A.jpg (170.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 6D6E6000-D2F1-4B4A-A029-3A3A1323C774.jpg (145.6 KB, 28 views)
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Old 08-24-2021   #100
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez1967 View Post
AMAZING progress yesterday and it would not have been possible without the help of 4 WAZOO members.

Charlie, Dan, Rich and Jim showed up to my house yesterday and the 5 of us knocked out a ton of work. I will never stop loving the ZR1 owners community and for that reason will never sell my Z!

Work Completed:

Rear Control Arms with SuperPro Bushinigs
VanSteel Rear Toe Rod Kit
Lowering Bolts

Installed Rebuilt PS Pump and Rack
Installed Cooling System
Installed A/C Lines
Stainless Works Headers with Grade 8 Bolts installed

If anyone knows the name of the guy who designed the PS Pump/Reservoir/Bracket assembly, feel free to forward me the info. I'd love to express my immense appreciation for the soup sandwich that he blessed us with...

I still need to reassemble the front suspension, reinstall rear brakes, install Corsa Exhaust, get the fluids topped off and get my chip up to Haibeck for a tune. Should hopefully get a bunch of the remaining tasks completed this week!

Looks like Image Shack's 30 day free trial (I didnt know that was a thing) has ended so once I find a new hosting service, I'll get updated pictures posted.
Loving your posts on the work you are doing with your car. Especially interesting as your car was on my shortlist before I chose to go in a different direction.

What's the advantage of the Van Steel Rear Toe Rod Kit? Looks nice in there.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote