Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2017   #161
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: LED headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Just a question. Is there really a point to having fogs ON w the HI Beams?
Normally, the power for the fog light comes from the switch on the dash, through the fog light relay coil, then through the high beam filament to ground (and back to the battery via the chassis).

Between the fog light and the high beam filament is another (hot) wire connected to the high beam switch. When that high beam switch is closed, voltage is equal on BOTH sides of the fog light relay coil - NO difference in potential - and current through the relay coil stops and the fog light circuit opens. The path for high beam current comes directly from that high beam switch to the wire connected between the fog relay and the high beam filaments.

The substitution of an LED in place of the high beam filament changes the scheme significantly by increasing the resistance in the circuit significantly.

LEDs draw a tiny fraction of the current of their FILAMENT counterpart. And, their (forward direction) opposition to current flow (i.e., "impedance") is very low; so low that additional resistance or a current regulator is typically installed in series with the LED to allow it to work within its limited (current) parameters.

It is that current limiting additional resistance necessary for the LED that causes a problem for the fog lights. Where the headlight filament resistance may have been less than 10Ω to ground, the resistance in the LED path may be several 100s of ohms!

Solution: either install a (LOAD) resistor to ground with similar impedance as the original filament the LED replaced, OR provide a alternate path to ground for the fog light filament (relay).

LOAD resistor:

Restores the original control and functionality of the lights
Generates significant heat that has to be dissipated, when the high beams are on.
Adds external connections that are exposed to the outside environment

Alternate ground for the fog light relay:

Compared to the OE configuration, it reduces overall current draw when the high beams are ON
Results in the fog lights remaining ON along with the high beams*.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2017   #162
XfireZ51

Paul,

My question had to do w the utility of having the fogs on while driving w Hi Beams. Does it really make a difference when driving?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
Old 10-13-2017   #163
secondchance

Another new LED headlight product that should work for our cars. At $54.99 each, a real bargain!

Anyone willing to experiment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Xprite-60W...ZZLzX-&vxp=mtr
Old 10-13-2017   #164
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Another new LED headlight product that should work for our cars. At $54.99 each, a real bargain!

Anyone willing to experiment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Xprite-60W...ZZLzX-&vxp=mtr
Not a fan of the Lighted LED LEGO in the DRL mode yikes ! I hope Hansen gets these again everything is on backorder currently. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-13-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2017   #165
-=Jeff=-

Roadster, I never really answered your question.. Look at Paul's post 4-5 above mine, talking about how the fog lights and headlights work. my thing was to move the wire and add a relay I posted back a few pages, this will then detect when the high beam is on and use the relay to open the fog light circuit, turning the fog lights off when the high beams are on. then when low beams are on, the fog lights are on.

My biggest thing was to remove the load, yes our cars are fine with the OEM load, but any load I can remove at night is better, I will do the Relay mod when I pull the dash pad this winter, as I am doing other things too. this will prep me for LED headlights.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-24-2017   #166
Roadster

No problem Jeff......just went out to the garage and tested.......
Park lights on....fog lights will turn on or off....
Headlights on....fog lights will turn on or off....
High Beams on.....fog lights will not turn on with switch.....if fog lights are on with low beam and switched to high beam....fog lights will automatically turn off and come back on when switched back to low beam....
IMO with these new headlights.....I don't feel the need for the use of the fog lights when using the high beams anyway as these are very bright.....very satisfied with the purchase.....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 10-24-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2017   #167
-=Jeff=-

I forget did you buy genssi or Larsen?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-24-2017   #168
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
I forget did you buy genssi or Larsen?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I went with Larsen.....again very satisfied.....and the resistor works great....no cutting into any wires.....worked well for me....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 10-25-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2017   #169
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I went with Larsen.....again very satisfied.....and the relay works great....no cutting into any wires.....worked well for me....
relay or resistor?

just confirming, my relay solution either cuts or moves a wire
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-24-2017   #170
GOLDCYLON

I went with Larsen as well I used the plug in adapter that superbrightleds sells. My foglight do not work with the high beams on. However the light from the LEDs are so superior I'm not really sure if that its really a problem. Also I test fit one of the LED headlights without the adapter and both lights new and old worked like they should. Not even sure if I needed it Jeff
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-24-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Closed Thread