ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-19-2015   #161
QB93Z

Default Re: Purple ZR-1 Road Trip to Yellowstone and the Pacific Northwest

We left Cheyenne and drove east on I-80:

The speed limit on I-80 is 80 mph:

So, my logical question is, what should the speed limit be on I-95 on the east coast? Just saying.

We crossed into Nebraska and the terrain changed to the first flat prairie we have seen in about 4 weeks:

We drove to North Platte, Nebraska and found a special version of the Sinclair Gas green dinos. This one had a saddle:

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #162
QB93Z

On Thursday, we left North Platte before daybreak since our schedule was 528 miles for the day.

Still on I-80 East, we got to see a beautiful sunrise over the plains of Nebraska:

Shortly after sunrise, the mist on the fields presented some interesting vistas:

When we reached Omaha we paused for some sightseeing. One of our first stops was a large fork with spaghetti:

to be continued...
Old 08-20-2015   #163
QB93Z

We drove to Offutt Air Force Base to get a photograph of a B-52. The display plaque reads:

The Zorinsky Memorial Air Park
Dedicated to the memory of Senator Edward Zorinski, a statesman, a patriot, and a friend whose unflagging support and public spirit were essential to the success of the Strategic Air Command in maintaining world peace. Thanks to his farsighted vision and devotion to country the Strategic Air Command remains the world's most potent force for freedom.
B-52G Stratofortress
#57 - 6468
The first B-52G model delivered to the Strategic Air Command, this aircraft represents the back bone of over five decades of American strategic nuclear deterrence. It's permanent display stands as a grateful tribute to the men and women of the SAC Alert Force whose personal sacifice help keep the nation strong, free and at peace.

Old 08-20-2015   #164
QB93Z

We went to downtown Omaha to visit the Joslyn Art Museum.

We were very impressed. The Joslyn Art Museums is one of the finest art museums that Lyndi has visited. The collection is extensive and the building and displays are world-class. I enjoyed getting to see a painting by one of my favorite artist; The Knitting Girl painted in 1869 by William Adolphe Bouguereau

To celebrate Lyndi's birthday, we decided to have a steak dinner at Casico's Steak House in Little Italy:

We visited Lauritzen Garden to see two more Union Pacific historic locomotives at Kenefick Park. This is "Big Boy" 4024:

And this is Union Pacific Diesel Electric Locomotive 6900, the largest diesel locomotive that the UP ever built:

We left Omaha and continued on I-80 through Iowa to Iowa City. The terrain in Iowa was much hillier and more productive than Nebraska:

Jim
Old 08-21-2015   #165
QB93Z

On Friday, we got up early again and kept on driving east. We saw another beautiful sunrise:

In Illinois, the landscape became flat again:

We stopped in Indianapolis to visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

For the second day in a row we were very pleasantly surprised by an art museum. The IAM is one of the top ten general art museums in America.
Their collection on display was exceptional, especially the work of American artists. We were interested to see several very early works by European artists that had very vivid colors. Most work from the period is darker and with somber colors. An example we liked is this oil painting by Italian artist Rondinelli painted in 1500:

to be continued....
Old 08-21-2015   #166
QB93Z

The main attraction for us at the Indianapolis Art Museum was the Dream Cars exhibit. Dream Cars is a traveling display of design, concept and prototype cars made by manufacturers, designers, and hobbyists. It is a wonderful collection and it is very nicely displayed. The bad news is the Dream Cars will only be on display at IAM through this weekend. Of the about twenty cars on display, my four favorite were:

1953 General Motors Firebird 1 XP21. This was a functional, gas turbine powered automobile. GM investigated the "jet" car in several different models but none were ever produced:

The 1936 Stout Scarab designed by William B Stout. Less than ten were produced. The vehicle was powered by rear-mounted Ford V-8. Inside the seats could be swiveled to create a living room setting.

The 1959 Cadillac Cyclone XP-74:

The 1970 Lancia Bertone HF Zero. This Italian designed and built car was only 33 inches high. There were no doors, access was by lifting the front wind screen. There were no side or rear view windows.

After we left Indianapolis, we drove to Dayton, Ohio. The terrain in Ohio was flat again.

Jim
Old 08-22-2015   #167
B17 Crew

You may be out of Ohio at this time, but if you ever have a chance, the National Museum of the US Air Force is located in Dayton. It has some incredible aircraft in its collection, such as Bockscar, one of the B-29 Superfortresses that helped end the war by dropping Fat Man on Nagasaki.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Home.aspx

B17 Crew
B17 Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015   #168
WARP TEN

Don't you love the Big Boy and the 6900. I wish my O gauge curves could handle a Challenger! As usual, great pictures and stories. Sorry you couldn't stop and visit in Illinois. Maybe come back for Marc's barbeque Sept 20.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015   #169
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by B17 Crew View Post
You may be out of Ohio at this time, but if you ever have a chance, the National Museum of the US Air Force is located in Dayton. It has some incredible aircraft in its collection, such as Bockscar, one of the B-29 Superfortresses that helped end the war by dropping Fat Man on Nagasaki.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Home.aspx

B17 Crew
What a great photo journal of an awesome trip, Jim (QB93Z). Am enjoying it all very much…

B17 Crew makes no understatement. The Nat'l Museum of the US Air Force, is one of the best air museums in the nation -- better than the Smithsonian.

cheers,
G
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015   #170
QB93Z

Hello from Westminster, Maryland. Lyndi and I have arrived home. The Northwest trip was a great success.

32 days
9,751 miles
20 states
10 National Parks
3 National Monuments
4 State Parks
32,977 photographs

A life time of wonderful memories and a lot of places to visit again.

Jim