90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #12
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

2 qts in 300 miles Lee, which is why im asking if its leaking out anywhere else as well.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #13
Mitsumark

Definitely oil out of the exhaust..There are definitely no external oil leaks..Lee..When you mention the PCV pressurizing the oil pan..How would I check that and what would cause that to happen?As stated,I dont see or feel any pressure coming from the oil cap or dipstick.I took that as a good sign..However shes drinkin oil really quickly..getting so frustrated because this car has been beating me up since Ive got it..Funny thing is it runs through the gears now without any misses for the first time after the recent work I listed before..However I'm putting in more oil than gas now...If I determine that it's a valve problem and not a block issue,,what kind of money am I looking at to have the heads pulled redone and reassembled?Is there anyone near NY/NJ that still works on LT5s? I swear I'm ready to yank this thing and throw a carb'd 396 in this bomb..Don't mind me..I'm just venting
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #14
A26B

Read your plugs, look for black & oily, note plug condition for each cylinder.

Run a compression check, analyze for both rings & valves to insure combustion integrity. Although, if you are not noticing blow-by such as vapor blowing from oil fill or dipstick being pushed up. not likely to be rings.

It could be valve stem seals.

In any regard, from your description of raw fuel at startup sure sounds like an injector leaking at minimum.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #15
LGAFF

agree with Jerry, go get a compression tester from autozone, rule out rings.....

Wondering if the breather hoses under the plenum could be leaking too...
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #16
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
However the car has drank 2 qrts of Mobil 1 in the last 300 miles..It is absolutely oil as the oil light came on
How about oil consumption say the 300 miles before the last 300 miles?
What oil light came on .......Oil Level ?

When you do the compression check....squirt some oil in in spark plug hole after initial compression check and recheck....I think that is what Jerry is suggesting to distinquish between Valves and Rings.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #17
Mitsumark

I will do that.. As far as the hoses under the plenum..I just had the plenum off and they looked good..I've also went through 4 bottles of TB cleaner in and around the whole engine while running..Made sure to even spray around the IH bases,Plenum base,and in between all runners..No changes in idle or leaks found..

Dyno- The "low oil" light on the DIC..Confirmed it with an immediate oil check..It was below the cross hatches on the stick.. although it was just running 5 min before.The car shows very high oil pressure on the gauge when cold..Dead center hot..Running Mobil 1 10w40.

Last edited by Mitsumark; 01-14-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2014   #18
Pete

Check compression, if your not pushing out the dipstick or fill hole compression should be good.

I think it's in the heads guides/seals, how many miles on the heads/car.

Let us know what you find.
Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #19
Mitsumark

Pete-Car has 75k..Rebuild has 15k but it has lived on a road racing track and saw 150mph quite often as I have the cars racing circuit history.Ya know Im thinking.Wouldnt a valve problem show smoke on cold startup?Mine starts without smoke and starts to smoke a bit at idle once hot.I also noticed that it does not smoke on decell in gear at high rpm..Only under moderate pedal action and revving it in neutral..Im gonna try to shoot a vid on Thurs after work and I'll post up..I know a compression test is a must but Im driving myself crazy meanwhile..Worse case scenario.If the heads need to be yanked,am I gonna have to drag this thing to Chitown?Can anyone recommend a good LT5 wrench in NY/NJ?..I dont think VDs play with LT5 anymore and ECS only messes with LSX..I dont have the time or resources to attempt a repair like this..
Old 01-14-2014   #20
PhillipsLT5

I usually wait 24 hr to check oil, you can not get a accurate read immediately
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote