ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-10-2013   #11
emmvette

Default Re: Need to get a ZR-1 from Maryland to Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
other than fixing the clutch issue what are you having marc do?

hp upgrade time?? we can probably do that locally if interested.

check your PM
Wow, That sounds like my kinda group - helping each other out and having a good time doing it.
If anybody in the Iowa area would like to do this, let me know. Working, learning, having fun, and helping - all at the same time; that's great!
Old 09-10-2013   #12
Racinfan83

No doubt. Would be nice to be around there for sure!

I would have a bit of an issue with the speed cops and extra laws on the East Coast though.... (see other thread)
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #13
Cal55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
My plan was every couple of years I would enjoy a road trip from Maryland to Chicago to have Marc Haibeck check things out an perform some of his magic. At Carlisle I talked to Marc about bringing the car to him sometime in October. I'm now in a situation where I can't drive the car and need to trailor or flatbed it.

I've looked on the Hemmings site and they have 55 "recommended" trailoring or flatbed point-to-point services for moving cars. It's going to cost at least $1K for the service. I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money without knowing something about the "service" offered. Plus, that's $1K less that I'll have to spend with Marc. An alternative would be a traditional 18 wheeler car mover. I would rather not put my car on an 18 wheeler and wonder if it will be taken off and put back on the truck multiple times or if it will get to Chicago hours, days, weeks, or even a month or more.

If I buy a brake controller my Tacoma will easily pull a trailor weighing up to 6500 lbs. I'm not having much luck, however, finding a commercial company that rents trailors that I'd want to put my ZR-1 on. I looked at a UHaul trailor. Dry rotted tire, no spare, no brake fluid, and a surge brake system only. Seems like their business is to rent hardware, not maintain it.

Anyone have any experience with a company other than UHaul where I can rent a well maintained (good tires and something other than a surge brake); brake fluid would be nice? Any other suggestions?
Maybe you could borrow or rent a trailer from someone local? I bought a new open trailer about 9 years ago with electric brakes, tandem axles for around $1,500. from a guy out of Missouri on ebay. I sold it a few years ago because it wasn't being used enough. I'm would think there are other tool rental companies in your area that rent car trailers at least there are around here. I'm fortunate I live about 30 minutes from Marc's place, I haven't gone there yet, but at least I know he's close if I need to.
Joe
Cal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #14
LancePearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZRyd View Post
I used Reliable to bring my 94Z from Annapolis to Florence SC. Pretty much I95 the whole way. Cost me $600 for an enclosed transport and I got the car the same day they picked it up. Guy called me about 8am that morning and it was sitting in my driveway at supper time. It would have easily cost me more in gas not to mention time had I drove up and trailered it back. I was very pleased with the service I received!

And he sat at the delicatessen for three hours waiting to call you on the deliver end so you would not do the speed math!
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #15
mgg

I have chosen Tom Sunday to transport my car to Marks. I have met Tom and have seen his equipment and it is first class. THe rate they have quoted me is very fair and their insurance and service has been excellent. Mark has dealt with them many times and has good things to say. A friend of mine purchase an old World Challenge Corvette many years ago from Tom. I was able to get a ook at his epuipment and it was very nice. He is also not to far away form you so that might be beneficial as the rate goes. I considered hauling myself at one time with my truck and 24' ft enclosed trailer but the fuel cost, toll costs not to mention there and back made this decision very easy. Toms number is 800-541-6601. Hope that helps.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #16
JimZRyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
And he sat at the delicatessen for three hours waiting to call you on the deliver end so you would not do the speed math!
Nope. Waited over an hour for previous owner to meet him and he touched base with me a couple times throughout the day. Watched him exit I95 at my church. No worries on this end!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #17
rkreigh

check your PM. this fix is pretty easy and it's going to be an expensive hassle to get the car up to marc.

recommend you consider getting this done local or with wazoo.

I also have a dual mass flywheel if you need it, but chances are yours will be fine.

we can pull the tranny and crate it up to ship to Boudreau, and haul the car back to your place until the tranny is done

WAY cheaper and less hassle to boot.

does your car have coil overs?? tuning them up is pretty easy

if you still have the stock suspension, that will need to be looked at (bad spring, shock, bushing, ect...)

even so, LOCAL is the way to go for this fix IMHO

let me know if I can help.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #18
xlr8nflorida

My Z has been all over.

I've used these guys many times.

http://www.exoticcartransport.com/

I've used these guys a few times, nice transports.

http://www.plycargroup.com/

I've even used Fed Ex to send my car. Their rig was kinda scarey but I got no damage.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/cus...ical/passport/
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote