ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-05-2017   #11
Flyman 27

Default Re: NOS starters for $197 incl S&H

Still has stock of 3 starters as of the AM.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #12
Flyman 27

Seller has restocked & has 7 in stock as of this afternoon.
So they are still available.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Old 07-21-2017   #13
WVZR-1

Well I'm sorry but those ain't NOS. Those are from DelcoRemy which has absolutely no association with GM or the old DelcoRemy as most of us could relate to.

The starter is NEW but ain't NOS! I've absolutely no idea who is doing the builds for DelcoRemy but I doubt it's 'denso. Could be certainly but if that blue label doesn't say Nippendenso ....................

This is the NEW DelcoRemy and it appears that maybe now they're a member of the BorgWarner parts family. I don't know how long ago that happened. I've bought MD/HD starter motors from these people for years.

http://www.delcoremy.com/Starters

Here's what DelcoRemy has to say about their 10455704

http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part...tails/10455704

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-21-2017 at 08:22 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #14
Flyman 27

Both the box and the starters are labeled "delco remy" and "made in Japan".
So they are not a Chinese copy.

What are they supposed to be labeled in order to be a real Delco Remy product?

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Old 07-21-2017   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
Both the box and the starters are labeled "delco remy" and "made in Japan".
So they are not a Chinese copy.

What are they supposed to be labeled in order to be a real Delco Remy product?
They're "real" DelcoRemy packaging but even they mention "PRIVATE BRAND" and in caps. A real quick GOOGLE got this response as to the GM spin-off. GM bought those starters directly from Nippendenso and DelcoRemy was never involved. GM has had a Nippendenso relationship for years. Your eBay guy is stretching things a bit I'd say. The "label" is a dead giveaway that it ain't NOS. The box and the label are sufficient to VOID the NOS claim.

If that label were a GM/AC-Delco with the part# it could be maybe taken to be NOS and it would have a very different label on the starter itself.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2004...es-name-change

What does the BLUE LABEL actually say?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-21-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2017   #16
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
They're "real" DelcoRemy packaging but even they mention "PRIVATE BRAND" and in caps. A real quick GOOGLE got this response as to the GM spin-off. GM bought those starters directly from Nippendenso and DelcoRemy was never involved. GM has had a Nippendenso relationship for years. Your eBay guy is stretching things a bit I'd say. The "label" is a dead giveaway that it ain't NOS. The box and the label are sufficient to VOID the NOS claim.

If that label were a GM/AC-Delco with the part# it could be maybe taken to be NOS and it would have a very different label on the starter itself.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2004...es-name-change

What does the BLUE LABEL actually say?
I think the source may be Remy International, Inc. I was told by Remy Engineering in OK, that if I could get approved by the sales dept, they could put the Remy reman starters in any box I wanted, even DelcoRemy. He went on to say that Remy provides different grade levels of reman to "big box" retailers like AutoZone, with their specific labels, i.e. Duraguard, etc.

Having carried the Remy brand for several years now, I have come to believe that the major components have always been new, simply because there was never a core charge/exchange involved and the appearance of the parts.

It doesn't take a giant leap to speculate that Remy may be behind the private Delco Remy label, especially when the link to the new Delco Remy starter (provided by WVZR-1) also includes a photo of a reman unit that has a "Remy International, Inc" watermark.

ZR-1 specific parts have a very limited market, so they may not be around long. SMP made a run of fuel pressure regulators and dropped them after the supply was exhausted. Stant has discontinued manufacturing the ZR-1 specific thermostat..... and the list goes on.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017   #17
efnfast

Sure Jerry, but we got you to pick up the slack.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post

Having carried the Remy brand for several years now, I have come to believe that the major components have always been new, simply because there was never a core charge/exchange involved and the appearance of the parts.
I'm very familiar with Remy and have had a couple warranty issues with MD/HD starter. They always accommodated me BUT the ship really hurt. The starters I did with them were 50lbs on average I'd say. I actually did a couple of my customers warranties myself to avoid the ship. The Remy warranty was 1 year. They provided me parts I believe twice.

I saw this most recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
Seller has restocked & has 7 in stock as of this afternoon.
So they are still available.
The "restocked" made me smile and I checked the eBay offering. The seller certainly claims NOS but they ain't. New likely but by who? I believe people deserve to know what they're buying. Is the price reasonable? I don't know - it's maybe a matter of convenience and the depth of the users wallet. Years ago in '09 I posted a link to WAI that doesn't work today but I believe all of the internals were available "NEW" but produced by ???? WAI is China based but that doesn't always mean inferior product.

They're either someones "overstock" or perhaps they're part of an order by someone, a random QC check by the purchaser (not done often anymore) and the entire order refused. RockAuto got their start liquidating manufacturers overstock and reselling reboxed inventory from auto parts store buyouts. I'm an RA "hater" still. What are they selling now? Who knows.

I believe Denso actually offers a new starter but I believe it's priced generally at $300+. Is it theirs or do they maybe purchase and rebox now? I doubt they would do such short run production themselves BUT I'd think they still have higher QC requirements. Maybe

***I asked what the "BLUE LABEL" actually says. I'd think that if it's actually a Remy Intl product the box should display COO information. (COO - Country Of Origin) - Maybe those requirements have changed.

Buyers - Does your box have any COO information on it? Never mind I spotted a label and it only states ASSEMBLED IN JAPAN - parts could be from anywhere in the world!! WAI? I'd say likely .....

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-22-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2017   #19
ZRapid-1

The ebay seller has sold 97 so far.

These are ZR-1 specific starters - so it looks like people are stocking up.

Either a gigantic horde or a source of new manufacture.
ZRapid-1 is offline   Reply With Quote