ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 08-26-2014   #11
Harvie

Default Re: Putting it back on the road

They copied alot on these to make the lt5, see the resemblance?
[-X show poodles & trailer queens :-({|=
Fast and fun not pretty in pink.
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #12
Harvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Would you elaborate further? Heads, cams etc. And why do you refer to it as a
Cosworth when Lotus did the development and engineering w MM doing the assembly?
It is easier to list what I did not fool with, I did not modify the hood release cable or some of the dash board. I want to retain its matching numbers value...

I even have a set of 3 piece BBS wheels are on the car now, with the centers painted to match the body.
Old 08-26-2014   #13
Z06scentair

You mention set of GSC's? Are they fosale?

Cause I have a trailer queen!
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #14
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post

They copied alot on these to make the lt5, see the resemblance?
DOHC motors have a tendency to look like that. I'd be interested in hearing whether Graham Beham would agree w u.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #15
WB9MCW

"By about '85," he continued, "it was Lloyd Reuss [then president of GM] who made the critical decision to terminate the turbocharger development work and go for a high-tech engine program, as he called it."

After a worldwide search for companies that could participate in developing what would become the ZR-1's LT5 powerplant, GM put Lotus Engineering, which it owned by then, to work on the project. The initial Chevy concept was to build a four-valve, four-cam cylinder head on top of the Chevy small-block, but no one had thought through how the camshafts would be driven.

Tony Rudd, Lotus's engineering director, came back with an alternative — do a completely new engine from scratch. He figured that would be the best way to improve the cooling control of the cylinders. Rudd promised 400 hp from the new powerplant, which would displace the same 5.7 liters as the standard Corvette engine.

During a technical review at Lotus, however, Roy Midgley, then chief engineer of CPC's 90-degree V-type engines, found something he didn't like. According to Rudd, "Roy spotted the bore centers were 4.55 inches, and he said, 'Hey—you can't do that.' He said it had to be 4.4 inches, like the small-block V-8."

Rudd tried to tell him the bore centers for the LT5 were relatively meaningless, because the new engine wasn't going to built on the same production line, and certainly not with the same tools, as the small-block. "It can be any bore center," Rudd told Midgley. "No, no it can't," Midgley said.

"You do appreciate what this is going to do to you, Roy?" Rudd inquired. "We can't promise you 400 horsepower anymore, because the bore has to be smaller so we can't get the size of valves we want in." Midgley mulled this over and said, "4.4-inch bore centers. We'll accept 385 hp." That's how the high-revving DOHC LT5 ended up with a smaller bore and a longer stroke than the elderly pushrod V-8.

The contract to build the engines went to Mercury Marine, and the first ZR-1 actually put down 375 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque to its fat rear wheels through a ZF six-speed transmission. Like the LT5 engine, this gearbox was the product of a global technology assessment, here including proposals from two other vendors.

The powerpack of new engine and transmission prompted this view of the pyrotechnics in our first drive (October 1988): "What we've got here is the Corvette from hell. It lets out the power with the speed and strength of water through a fire hose. And the six-speed gearbox is nothing short of marvelous, working with minimum effort and maximum smoothness." In that preview story, we predicted a 0-to-60 clocking of 4.2 seconds. In our first test of a production car in October 1989, the ZR-1 did it in 4.5 seconds.

SOURCE
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...erplant-page-2
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #16
Mystic ZR-1

Some would say it looks like a flathead Ford...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #17
Harvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
I have never really cared too much about what other people think or say concerning my vechicles or their components. I have always done things much differently than others.

My ideas run simular to the line of thought that if it is made to be mass produced, it can be modified and made bigger, better, stronger etc with a little tweaking and infusion of time and $.

The reboxing/rebranding methods never got me. I never base decisions on a component or item based on a brand name. If I find that a particular OEM component is overpriced I will change to a different component or manufacturer and never think another thing about it.

Mechanically or cosmetically if I find something that I think can be improved, or want to improve on something, I either use past expirence with those items or research and test with the different component or configuration, then I perm change it on my stuff. Always have always will.
Old 08-27-2014   #18
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Apologies if you thought my post was a personal attack,
I just wanted to point out that the spark plugs are right in the middle
of the head just like a flathead Ford...(the most iconic V8 ever built)
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #19
Harvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06scentair View Post
You mention set of GSC's? Are they fosale?

Cause I have a trailer queen!
Sure everything I have is for sale....but, lets just trade.

I looked today and one rear $466 dollar jewels has never even been mounted the other still has the little side nibs the other 2 were on one of the cars for a year waiting for engine trans & rear modifications. Maybe 1000 miles.
Old 08-27-2014   #20
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
Sure everything I have is for sale....but, lets just trade.

I looked today and one rear $466 dollar jewels has never even been mounted the other still has the little side nibs the other 2 were on one of the cars for a year waiting for engine trans & rear modifications. Maybe 1000 miles.
Ditto.....make trade? What ya got? Will dicker!
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote